Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My girlfriend. Help bring her to the good side of the Force

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
bradjohnson101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My girlfriend. Help bring her to the good side of the Force

Here's the lowdown:

I have tried having her taste several different styles, but she still says it tastes like beer. I know she doesn't like hoppy beers. She will drink a few bottles of a Kolsch that I brewed, but that is about it. Are there any suggestions as to how to ease a non beer drinker/appreciator into a beer drinker. She is good about helping brew, but that is just to be nice. I would really like her to experience and appreciate the final product. How can I get a reluctant beer drinker on the "Good Path"?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 01:54 AM   #2
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why don't you take her to some good beer bars and let her try some different styles. Then when you find something she likes, make it. There is more out there than APA and Kolsch.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
HomelessWook
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i would suggest really fruity wheat beers - lots of different varieties out there to choose from and they just taste like fruit for the most part.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 86

I find belgian style beers are easier to transition with. If that doesn't work you could always try sour beer. It would probably be different than any other beer she's had.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Some people just don't like beer. I know that we find it hard to believe, but it's true!

I guess I can understand. I hate NASCAR. Someone who wanted me to change my ways and see the light (and I won't mention which member of my family took this upon themselves) only succeeded in making me hate it all the more by trying to show me the error of my ways.

Wine snobs are even worse. I love wine, but after listening to "wine experts" I want to give it up forever.

My advice, contrary to every one else's I'm sure, is to let her be. If she likes the kolsch, great! If she helps you brew, wonderful! Then she loves you and respects your hobby. So, stop trying to convert her to your way of thinking. Maybe, eventually, she'll want to try some different beers. But being "forced" to won't get you anywhere.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
wscott823
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Preach it Yooper!

Bottled: Sparkling Ambrosia, Chai Graff, Cerberus Barleywine, Jamil's Evil Twin, Chinook IPA
Planned Brews: Devil's Serum (Golden Strong Ale)

Make Your Own Belgian Candi Syrup

Old 03-16-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
bradjohnson101
Recipes 

YooperBrew: Advice received and appreciated. I am with you on the NASCAR thing. I am not trying to change her as much as have her (kinda) be as excited as I am about this great hobby, and partaking in the fruit of its efforts. I am starting to hear grumbles about all the "beer stuff" I read and the beer related discussions that seem to keep popping up into every discussion. So, if she appreciates the stuff, just think of the great relationship we would strengthen. Beer Brewing = Love.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjohnson101 View Post
YooperBrew: Advice received and appreciated. I am with you on the NASCAR thing. I am not trying to change her as much as have her (kinda) be as excited as I am about this great hobby, and partaking in the fruit of its efforts. I am starting to hear grumbles about all the "beer stuff" I read and the beer related discussions that seem to keep popping up into every discussion. So, if she appreciates the stuff, just think of the great relationship we would strengthen. Beer Brewing = Love.
Maybe. I'm no relationship expert, but consider this. What if her passion was quilting? What if she LOVED quilting and making quilts more than any other hobby. Now, you like them ok, and can appreciate them as "nice", but you can really appreciate how much she loves it. Now, assume she decides that YOU should be as excited as she is about this great hobby (your words), and starts to talk constantly about quilting, and its history, and how important it is. Not only expecting you to hang the quilts, but to appreciate them as much as she does.

Now, I realize that isn't a great analogy, but I think everyone gets what I'm saying. The hobby IS wonderful, and brewing is my obsession. Bob drinks my beer with gusto (even starting to become a hophead, finally) but I certainly can't push him or encourage him to love brewing. He doesn't like all beer styles, but he drinks more of them than he used to. He won't touch a stout, an imperial anything, or an oaked beer. He doesn't brew, doesn't enjoy talking about brewing, and doesn't help with brewing. Because it's MY hobby. If he handed me a shovel (gardening is HIS hobby), I'd get pissed.

I'm all about supporting your life partner. But I'm pricklish about trying to get them excited about a hobby that they lovingly tolerate.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:35 AM   #9
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Clone Hacker Pschorr... put some raspberry syrup in the glass and squeeze some lemon in... also rub the lemon around the rim. If she doesn't like that there is no hope for her!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:37 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig View Post
Clone Hacker Pschorr... put some raspberry syrup in the glass and squeeze some lemon in... also rub the lemon around the rim. If she doesn't like that there is no hope for her!
LOL- that sounds terrible!

Quick Reply