Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first Stout and an AG question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
PlainsBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first Stout and an AG question...

Hey all,

I just got finished putting my first Dry Stout extract kit into my fermenter... Boy that stuff is dark... I've been doing alot of amber and Belgian ales so I haven't had anything end up that dark yet...

While I was waiting for my boil to finish I was watching a series of AG brewing videos by a guy named Chris Knight, I think... pretty entertaining videos although I felt they were kind of quick... Just enough to wet my appetite for more information...

I guess my main question is, since I have enough gear for four simultaneous extract kits fermenting (ie. four fermenters, tons of bottles) including a 7 gallon brewing pot... What else do I need to switch to AG?

I didn't see any definitive, "Here is what you need to do AG, noob!" Any suggestions, or links to an appropriate thread?

Thanks, y'all...

Dave
Kansas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

A mash tun is really all you need then. An extra pot to heat your sparge water is nice but isn't absolutely necessary. Most people use converted coolers with a manifold, steel braid, or false bottom, and a ball valve on the outside. I got my 10gal at Home Depot for under $40. I wouldn't get anything smaller. There are a number of threads with parts to convert a cooler. I think that's it really.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
WenValley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started out too doing extracts, and was very pleased with the end product. I moved to partial grain, then onto all grain. If you're thinking of moving to all grain, then the sooner the better.

I moved outside with a Banjo burner and converted two sankie kegs for brewing. One thing that I realized was that while I was "upgrading" my system was always in a state of change. I never did two batches the same.

Now, my system is dialed in, my equipment is up to the task, and I'm getting into a rhythm on brew days that has resulted in less stress, more fun, and a better product.

So, build a large Mash Tun from a cooler, I use a 48 qt Igloo cooler with a 3/4" SS braided filter. Works for me.

Get a BIG brew pot, or convert a keg. Full boils is the way to go. Get a burner that can handle a keg and get at least 7.5 gallons up to a boil in a fairly short time.

It's a Hoot. Good Luck...

'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-21-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
PlainsBrew
Recipes 

Appreciate the comments! That does help alot... I know this question is probably overdone, so I thank you for taking the time...

Old 09-21-2009, 02:11 AM   #5
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have been looking at going to ag as well. Thanks for clearing some of the fog up for me as well.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:21 AM   #6
uabericm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Watch all the Chris Knight videos. I have followed his methods on AG and kegging and everything has turned out great.

Keg Carbonation Calc Pitching Rate Calc HBT Starter Calc

Quick Reply