Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first Stout :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Tehan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first Stout :)

Hi everyone,

I want to atempt my first stout kit, but I would like to make some changes to it.

As a base I'm going to use 1x tin of Coopers Stout, 1x 1.7kg Coopers LDME and about 500g of dextrose.

Now for the sillyness, I would like to split this into 3 parts, say 7l of it as is, 7l for coffee and 7l for a chocolate stout.

Now for the questions:
Can I do it like this?
Can I just split the one packet of yeast into 3 or do I need more packets?
How much coffee is needed and when?
Will 250g Milo work for the chocolate stout or should I use cocoa powder, and when do I pitch it, at primary or secondary fermentation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Sure you can, its your beer.

I would ferment in primary as one batch for 2-3 weeks. Then bottle the first 7L. Split remaining beer into 2 secondaries. Add coarse ground coffee beans in dry hop mesh bag to 7L for 2-3 hours (0.5 - 0.8 oz of beans should be enough). Gently swirl the beer up and taste every hour or two to make sure you don't go overboard.

Add your cocoa addition to the other (I have no experience here on how or what to add).

Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 03-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
Tehan
Recipes 

Shot, thanks

Quick Reply