The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > my first shot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
crh1109
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I will have to get a hydrometer, the kit did not come with one, but the instructions say to wait 2 weeks in the fermentor, and 2 weeks in bottles, would this be considered "aging in primary" or should I leave it in the fermentor for 3-4 weeks, THEN 2 weeks in bottles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
yancydc
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The latter, so 3-4 weeks on the yeast cake in the primary fermenter. A lot of people say 3 weeks in bottles is better, too. I've been brewing for about a year, and the best ingredient I've found in my homebrew is patience! My first few batches, I bottled right at 2 weeks, and cracked open my first bottle 2 weeks after that. I was very disappointed in the taste. After they aged a bit, they were delicious.

Brew another beer while you're waiting

Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
crh1109
Recipes 

Well home brewing is going to be rough on me then, because patience is not one of my virtues!!

I think I'm going to have to get another batch going since this kit is only a gallon, and I don't even think I have a full gallon of beer after the boil. All the work, and all the waiting may not seem worth it for only a few bottles of beer!!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
yancydc
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Whoa, only a gallon?? Yeah, go brew up 5 gallons. If you're going to do all the work, might as well get a couple cases out of it.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The Brooklyn Brew Shop kits are good for what they're supposed to be: a way to brew all grain batches with serious space limitations. I started with these and have just moved to 5 gallon AG (last night actually). They are a great way to learn the process and nail down the principles of brewing without feeling overwhelmed from the start. I have no complaints (other than the small amount of brew). If nothing else, you have a 1 gallon jug for a blowoff container and some extra tubing and a spare thermometer when you take the step up. Well worth the money you spent on it (free I assume? Or did your neighbor charge you?). Welcome to the obsession, and good luck on your first brew!!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I do 1.25 gallon batches often just to experiment with different brews that I might not want 5 gallons of. As mentioned by another poster, I think the Brooklyn Brewshops kits are great for their designed purpose. I've sent a lot of business their way.

Two weeks in the fermenter is fine for that brew. But give it at least 3 weeks in the bottle before drinking. What I usually suggest is that you try 1 bottle at two weeks but save the rest for at least three weeks, and save a bottle or two to try at 4 and 5 weeks. You will taste a noticeable improvement for each additional week. After 6 weeks, beers like a summer ale probably aren't going to improve much.

If you decide to get a hydrometer, be sure that you sanitize it and the hydrometer tube well so you can still use the beer, since you're only going to get 10 bottle to start with. For this first batch, however, I wouldn't worry about a hydrometer reading, just go ahead and bottle it after 2-3 weeks in the fermenter.

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #17
crh1109
Recipes 

yeah, it was free!! I would have passed if he wanted to charge me, but I'm sure he will get a couple bottles of beer out of it as payment! After all of the work, I had the same feeling, "only a gallon?!" If my first batch turns out ok, I'm sure I will be onto a 5 gal system in no time. I also have the thoughts of having spare parts, and a small system to try experiments with. I'm just not sure what will be worse if my first batch doesn't turn out good 1. I will quit or 2. I will get in deeper trying to prove I can make good beer!!! Only time will tell!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #18
crh1109
Recipes 

I also called the kit "summer ale" at the beginning, but I just looked again, and it is actually "summer wheat"

Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 AM   #19
crh1109
Recipes 

1 week down...i hate waiting

Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 AM   #20
Grumpybumpy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crh1109
yeah, it was free!! I would have passed if he wanted to charge me, but I'm sure he will get a couple bottles of beer out of it as payment! After all of the work, I had the same feeling, "only a gallon?!" If my first batch turns out ok, I'm sure I will be onto a 5 gal system in no time. I also have the thoughts of having spare parts, and a small system to try experiments with. I'm just not sure what will be worse if my first batch doesn't turn out good 1. I will quit or 2. I will get in deeper trying to prove I can make good beer!!! Only time will tell!
Even if it does not, you should stick with it! It becomes a lot more fun when you have enough brew to share

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Home Brew Talk

Quick Reply