Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My First Lager - Rocky Raccoon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
DaveGEsq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My First Lager - Rocky Raccoon

I've got my Rocky Raccoon sitting in primary in my SOFC (a cool 50 degrees!). I think fermentation is going to be complete very soon (I will confirm with hydro readings over the next couple of days). Assuming fermentation is complete, I need some advice on next steps.

(1) The original recipe (from Papazian's "Complete Guide #3") says rack it straight to bottles once fermentation is complete. This seems like corner-cutting. Anyone tried it or recommend it? Will it work?

(2) I've read about diacetyl rest. I understand this to mean bringing the beer to warmer temps (mid-60s) for 2 or 3 days allowing the beer to clear. Anyone have thoughts about the dacetyl rest? Is it necessary or even beneficial?

(3) If I do go for the rest, what do I do next? Rack it into a secondary and chill it for a period of time? How long? How cold? Or do I go straight to bottles from the rest?

Just looking for various thoughts and experiences regarding the lagering process. Seems to be a lot of divergence of opinion out there. Thanks, y'all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Totally up to you. Many different opinions on the diacetyl rest for the lagers. My thoughts are, bring the temp up ~ 5 degrees at day 10 (or so). Leave it there for a week, rack to long-term storage/2ndary/bright tank/keg (if force carbing) and lager at ~35F for 2 months. If bottling, add priming sugar solution and a smidge of yeast (1/4 vial) to your bottling bucket and bottle as normal.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
DaveGEsq
Recipes 

Isn't 35F too cold for bottling? Or is that why you suggest the added yeast? Regardless, I don't think I can get it that cold, but I'm curious.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

yes, 35 is the lagering temp. You'd have to bring the beer back to ferm temps to bottle and add yeast. It's even fine to add ale yeast to do the carb work, many prefer to stick with the lager yeast though.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
DaveGEsq
Recipes 

Is there any disadvantage to resting the beer, racking into a fresh carboy, and just continuing to "lager" at 50 for a couple weeks?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

No, but the lagering is typically done at colder temps that help the yeast and others stuff drop out.

Quick Reply