Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first Homebrew Setup / South Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
dwarmstrong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first Homebrew Setup / South Florida

Well, I just finished reading How to Brew by Palmer, I bought the most recent version off of Amazon, great book. I took my time and read it very slowly, highlighting key areas and even flagging certain pages for reference, haha, what a nerd.

Anyways, I have heard that Midwest Supplies is a pretty good online supply store. I guess that leads me to the question:

Are there any home brew supply stores in South Florida (I live in Fort Lauderdale)?

If not, I was thinking of purchasing this kit: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-intermediate-kit-w-two-5-gallon-glass-carboys.html

I am not the type of person that likes to (or needs to) buy the minimum to start a new hobby. Typically, I go all out and get a pretty good setup. I have great attention to detail and even took some notes while reading the book (some key reminders).

If someone could address any or all of those points/questions, that would be great. Looking forward to

Thanks,

Daniel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 AM   #2
indeedproceed
Recipes 

That's a great kit. I can tell from experience that you're going to want that glass carboy anyways.

My friend is lending me a 5 gallon carboy until the end of the summer. When he takes it back I'm going to buy 2 better bottles. The glass gives me the creeps (fear of breaking it, and having to buy my friend a new one/suffering grievous injury), but I love it.

Motto: A $100 shine on a $3 pair of shoes.

Bucket Primary: Dry Irish Stout
Carboy Secondary:
Other Bucket Primary:
Conditioning in Bottles:
Drinking: Nothin. But the Petite Saison D'Ete from NB was good.

Planned:

Old 04-20-2010, 03:08 AM   #3
senorswiss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you decide you want better bottles instead of glass carboys, Midwest will swap them out...it even saves you a few bucks as the BB are cheaper (this is what I did recently). I'm guessing shipping might go down a little as well, but I'm not sure about that as dimensional weight probably applies here. I've used glass at a friend's but bought BB myself. So far I'm happy with them and don't see any reason to switch to glass. I got one 6.5g for primary and a 5g for secondary - It's been working great so far.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #4
indeedproceed
Recipes 

I can also tell you though that buying some kind of carrying rig for the carboys is an awesome idea.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-brew-hauler.html

Maybe you can get some deal on the shipping or something. I cold crash my carboys in a minifridge, and delicately placing the carboy not only rilies it up (because you can't carry a full carboy from the neck, so you gotta tilt it at some point). When moving it around With the rig you can lower it on to whatever surface you want...bet it a countertop for racking or an ice bath or a minifridge

Motto: A $100 shine on a $3 pair of shoes.

Bucket Primary: Dry Irish Stout
Carboy Secondary:
Other Bucket Primary:
Conditioning in Bottles:
Drinking: Nothin. But the Petite Saison D'Ete from NB was good.

Planned:

Old 04-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #5
FungusBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't know about places near South Florida. I'd google it.

I bought a real similar kit about a year ago, and definitely didn't regret it. I'd also recommend a brewers best ingredient kit. Contains all the software to make your first batch. Including a step by step instruction page to make the beer in the kit. That page is what taught me to brew. Start out with a dark or amber beer. They tend to be the easiest to make, as they mask off flavors in case you mess a little something up your first try.

Have fun!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3179 Times on 1986 Posts
Likes Given: 2707

I would never ever get a glass carboy again. It's $20 cheaper to replace those with 6g better bottles (plastic). I've broken a glass carboy and it is downright scary. BB are better, period.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Only Brew store is in Lake Worth. BX Beer depot.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
brewboxmiami
Recipes 

Not true. BrewBox Miami, just north of Doral. www.brewboxmiami.com

Old 11-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
rockstrongo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewboxmiami View Post
Not true. BrewBox Miami, just north of Doral. www.brewboxmiami.com
I've actually went to that address that is on the website and it was a construction company. There were no signs at the front. I've called the phone number listed and no one ever picks up. I left a VM, but no one has called be back with any info.

I'm going to have to say BX Beer Depot is still the only homebrew shop in the South Florida area. BrewBox Miami is kinda shady to me. Unless you live near Orlando, I've had success with Heart's Homebrew.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstrongo View Post
I've actually went to that address that is on the website and it was a construction company. There were no signs at the front. I've called the phone number listed and no one ever picks up. I left a VM, but no one has called be back with any info.

I'm going to have to say BX Beer Depot is still the only homebrew shop in the South Florida area. BrewBox Miami is kinda shady to me. Unless you live near Orlando, I've had success with Heart's Homebrew.
Great, another homebrewer in South Florida! I'm in Plantation, which is essentially Fort Lauderdale.

BrewBox is just getting started. It's a project between two guys who are into homebrewing, and they are basically building the store out of an extra space in one of the guy's construction company's office. They still don't have much but can order for you.

Honestly, it's 1 hour from Ft. Lauderdale to BX Beer Depot, so I almost always end up ordering online. Check out MoreBeer, they have free shipping over $60 and Austin Homebrew has free shipping over $100.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Quick Reply