Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first HomeBrew Setup Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
mlyday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytango View Post
I think I may end up getting the Deluxe Brewer's Best Equipment Kit with Glass Carboy. It has most of everything the Austin Kit did, minus the Wort Chiller. I'll have to nab some Star San too. When i move on to All-Grain brews I can pick one up. Does anyone see anything glaring that this kit is missing? looks like a pretty solid beginners kit to me.

All this for 124.99:
  • 6.5 Gallon "Ale Pail" Primary Fermenter with Grommeted Lid
  • 6.5 Gallon "Ale Pail" Bottling Bucket with Spigot
  • 5 Gallon Glass Carboy
  • "Home Beermaking" Book
  • Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
  • Twin Lever Capper
  • Triple Scale Hydrometer
  • Siphon Hose and Shut-Off Clamp
  • Drilled Universal Carboy Bung
  • Liquid Crystal Thermometer
  • Lab Thermometer
  • Brew Paddle
  • Airlock
  • Fermtech Auto Siphon
  • Bottle Filler
  • Bottle Brush
  • Carboy Brush
  • Equipment Instructions
This is the one I have and it has been great. I did buy a chiller about 6 month later, but the ice in the sink works well too. You could brew for years with this kit and make some awesome beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
Ell
Recipes 

If you check Groupon.com, they VERY frequently have a great deal from Midwest for a starter kit. I think they actually have one right now, but YMMV. It's not a fantastic kit, but it's a great starter and you can get that and buy whatever else you need and get in cheap and easy.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
Smashing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 20

All of those are very good kits and will do well for you. Depends on what you want to do. You didn't say much about how or were you are going to brew. Are you using a stove top or doing it outside? A couple of things: You WILL want a chiller. I did a few with out and it sucked. You can make one though - just look around here. I started with a solid 22qt pot and did several extract batches them. Worked great but had to watch like a hawk for boil overs. Get yourself some fermcap to reduce the boil overs. I would go with the largest pot you can fit. The best you can do with a small pot is partial boils. If you want full boils them a turkey fryer type set up is the minimum. I don't regret my small pot at all cause I use it to heat sparge water or make big soups etc! Like I said, it depends what kind of brewing you want to do and where you'll do it. The best rule of thumb is - always go as big as you can.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
MRD911
Recipes 

Get a Wort Chiller and a bigger pot (around 30q should work well for AG).

Primary #1 - Apfelwein
Primary #2 - Smoked Chocolate Porter
Primary #3 - Honey Ale
Primary #4 - Orange Wheat
Primary #5 - Summer Ale

Old 06-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #15
whiskeytango
Recipes 

A 30q is all I need for 5gal batches of AG brew? And i definitely plan on getting a wort chiller

Quick Reply