Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My First Homebrew Competition

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
johnnyjs1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 10
Default My First Homebrew Competition

This past weekend I entered the first 2 beers I made in a Homebrew Competition. I looked on the hosts website and saw my scores. 28 for my Kiwi Blonde Ale, and a 31 for my Brown Ale. Cant wait to get the score cards mailed to me so i can see the comments and get feedback. Since I've never entered before...are those scores decent??

__________________
johnnyjs1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TopherM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 3,757
Liked 386 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Anything above 30 is good! Congrats!

__________________

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

TopherM is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
johnnyjs1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
Anything above 30 is good! Congrats!
Woohoo!!! I was hoping they would turn out decent since i didnt follow any recipe....both were sort of experimental. The guy at the local homebrew supply store kept telling me "You cant use those hops with that style, you cant use that grain for that style, blah, blah, blah" The funny thing is...he also entered 2 beers in the contest, and both my beers got higher scores than his.
__________________
johnnyjs1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Homercidal
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 23,236
Liked 2022 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

Default

I wouldn't say anything less than 30 is "great", but for sure a solid start, especially for a home made recipe. There will be some feedback you can use. Thing is, you may only need to tweak one or two small things to get in the high 30s to low 40s.

And the homebrew store guy may be right about this or that, but there is a myriad of potential pitfalls other than ingredients. And he may have been shooting for a very difficult style too...

__________________
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
johnnyjs1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I wouldn't say anything less than 30 is "great", but for sure a solid start, especially for a home made recipe. There will be some feedback you can use. Thing is, you may only need to tweak one or two small things to get in the high 30s to low 40s.

And the homebrew store guy may be right about this or that, but there is a myriad of potential pitfalls other than ingredients. And he may have been shooting for a very difficult style too...
Both his beers where entered in the same styles as mine: Blonde Ale, and Brown Ale. For some reason the guy just rubs me the wrong way...acts like a know-it-all. When I make beer...I like to experiment with ingredients that I think will make my beer taste good. The $30 it costs me to experiment, whether the beer comes out awesome or just plain terrible...is worth it to me.
__________________
johnnyjs1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,372
Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Just got the scoresheets back on my first contest beer too and scored 31 (30 and 32) total. It was a Kolsch with a touch of honey malt but both judges felt it needed more hops. No process flaws or other negatives listed. My neighbor is a homebrewer of many years and he suggested I fermented a tad too low for a Kolsch.

Congrats on the contest!

__________________

_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
johnbrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 115
Likes Given: 3

Default

I've entered my beer in my first homebrew competition. I think it's slightly overcarbed but it's the only girl I have to bring to the dance. Just hoping for helpful feedback.

If the competition guide says just bring your beer and "we'll bag it & tag it" should I NOT put a label on the bottle? There is zero mention of labels, and googling competitions I've seen guys dinged for no labels in some comps, and guys dinged for having labels in other comps.

Suggestions?

__________________
johnbrain is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,372
Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrain View Post
I've entered my beer in my first homebrew competition. I think it's slightly overcarbed but it's the only girl I have to bring to the dance. Just hoping for helpful feedback.

If the competition guide says just bring your beer and "we'll bag it & tag it" should I NOT put a label on the bottle? There is zero mention of labels, and googling competitions I've seen guys dinged for no labels in some comps, and guys dinged for having labels in other comps.

Suggestions?
You could always bring the label with you and ask when you arrive. I'd write on the bottle-cap perhaps so at least they don't lose your beer. Last time I labeled and wrote on cap, then emailed a follow-up to make sure they knew which was mine since the label didn't react to condensation very well.
__________________

_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #9
IMNOTL8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 24
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Naming beers...

Entering a competition this weekend... Is it necessary to come up with some clever name for my beer? Or is entering it in a specific category and calling it for example... Imperial Pilsner, enough?

Didn't know if giving it a name helps or hinders!

Thanks!

__________________
IMNOTL8 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,591
Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMNOTL8 View Post
Entering a competition this weekend... Is it necessary to come up with some clever name for my beer? Or is entering it in a specific category and calling it for example... Imperial Pilsner, enough?

Didn't know if giving it a name helps or hinders!

Thanks!
Names don't matter. The judges see "entry #402. Kolsch. Style 6C"

Everything else that would make a beer stand out is removed, and/or disqualified.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first competition RobbyBeer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 26 06-06-2012 03:54 PM
How to mail your homebrew in for competition Kmcogar Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 04-20-2012 06:30 PM
First Competition EzMak24 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 08-27-2011 08:39 PM
first competition cowperc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 03-13-2011 04:11 AM
first homebrew competition - stout sour flavor? JLem Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 05-20-2009 05:02 AM