Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My First Homebrew Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
johnnyjs1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My First Homebrew Competition

This past weekend I entered the first 2 beers I made in a Homebrew Competition. I looked on the hosts website and saw my scores. 28 for my Kiwi Blonde Ale, and a 31 for my Brown Ale. Cant wait to get the score cards mailed to me so i can see the comments and get feedback. Since I've never entered before...are those scores decent??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Anything above 30 is good! Congrats!

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
johnnyjs1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
Anything above 30 is good! Congrats!
Woohoo!!! I was hoping they would turn out decent since i didnt follow any recipe....both were sort of experimental. The guy at the local homebrew supply store kept telling me "You cant use those hops with that style, you cant use that grain for that style, blah, blah, blah" The funny thing is...he also entered 2 beers in the contest, and both my beers got higher scores than his.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2022 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

I wouldn't say anything less than 30 is "great", but for sure a solid start, especially for a home made recipe. There will be some feedback you can use. Thing is, you may only need to tweak one or two small things to get in the high 30s to low 40s.

And the homebrew store guy may be right about this or that, but there is a myriad of potential pitfalls other than ingredients. And he may have been shooting for a very difficult style too...

Old 05-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
johnnyjs1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I wouldn't say anything less than 30 is "great", but for sure a solid start, especially for a home made recipe. There will be some feedback you can use. Thing is, you may only need to tweak one or two small things to get in the high 30s to low 40s.

And the homebrew store guy may be right about this or that, but there is a myriad of potential pitfalls other than ingredients. And he may have been shooting for a very difficult style too...
Both his beers where entered in the same styles as mine: Blonde Ale, and Brown Ale. For some reason the guy just rubs me the wrong way...acts like a know-it-all. When I make beer...I like to experiment with ingredients that I think will make my beer taste good. The $30 it costs me to experiment, whether the beer comes out awesome or just plain terrible...is worth it to me.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Just got the scoresheets back on my first contest beer too and scored 31 (30 and 32) total. It was a Kolsch with a touch of honey malt but both judges felt it needed more hops. No process flaws or other negatives listed. My neighbor is a homebrewer of many years and he suggested I fermented a tad too low for a Kolsch.

Congrats on the contest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
johnbrain
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I've entered my beer in my first homebrew competition. I think it's slightly overcarbed but it's the only girl I have to bring to the dance. Just hoping for helpful feedback.

If the competition guide says just bring your beer and "we'll bag it & tag it" should I NOT put a label on the bottle? There is zero mention of labels, and googling competitions I've seen guys dinged for no labels in some comps, and guys dinged for having labels in other comps.

Suggestions?

Old 06-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrain View Post
I've entered my beer in my first homebrew competition. I think it's slightly overcarbed but it's the only girl I have to bring to the dance. Just hoping for helpful feedback.

If the competition guide says just bring your beer and "we'll bag it & tag it" should I NOT put a label on the bottle? There is zero mention of labels, and googling competitions I've seen guys dinged for no labels in some comps, and guys dinged for having labels in other comps.

Suggestions?
You could always bring the label with you and ask when you arrive. I'd write on the bottle-cap perhaps so at least they don't lose your beer. Last time I labeled and wrote on cap, then emailed a follow-up to make sure they knew which was mine since the label didn't react to condensation very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #9
IMNOTL8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Naming beers...

Entering a competition this weekend... Is it necessary to come up with some clever name for my beer? Or is entering it in a specific category and calling it for example... Imperial Pilsner, enough?

Didn't know if giving it a name helps or hinders!

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMNOTL8 View Post
Entering a competition this weekend... Is it necessary to come up with some clever name for my beer? Or is entering it in a specific category and calling it for example... Imperial Pilsner, enough?

Didn't know if giving it a name helps or hinders!

Thanks!
Names don't matter. The judges see "entry #402. Kolsch. Style 6C"

Everything else that would make a beer stand out is removed, and/or disqualified.

Quick Reply