Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first failed All Grain beer after 10 good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default My first failed All Grain beer after 10 good?

I have done about 10 all grain batches and I think I have my first failure, all other came out fantastic. Tastes like rubber bands, maybe you guys can help me figure out where I went wrong. Funny thing is I did two beers that day back to back and the second one came out fantastic. I won't give the exact recopies since they were both about 50/50 wheat beers.

The one that failed was an expensive WLP500 Trappist ale yeast brew. The success was a German Munich yeast brew. Sorry for the lack of specifics but I have my notes at home. Both sat in the fermenter for 2 weeks, same place around 70 degrees. Both were bottled the same day and aged just less than 4 weeks. Last night I sampled both.

One thing I will say is these two were the first brews with my new turkey fryer which I had problems with getting a boil due to not knowing there was an air adjustment (another story solved). So, the WLP500 batch (bad batch) I did all in the turkey fryer pot but could not get a full boil even after 1.5 hours. The temp read well over 212 so I decided to stop there and cool. I used store brought hops.

On the second batch (good batch) I decided to split the batch in two and do half on the stove and I got a good boil in both pots. With this batch I used hops I grew. Odd thing is while the other batch was pretty clean on top when I went to bottle; this had a weird waxy looking film on top. I thought for sure if at all this was going to be the bad beer.

One thing I did different too was use the garden hose to fill the pots since I was outside anyway. But both used the hose water and only one came out like rubber bands.

I am guessing not getting a good full boil on the first batch. I never used WLP500 though, is this normal and it just needs to age longer than the German Munich?

Sorry for the long post.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'd first question the health of that 500 yeast. Did you use a big enough starter? What was the OG?

Old 10-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

My first thought was about the hose. Did you let the water run cold (or whatever it runs when you get all the old water out of the hose) before you filled pots for that first beer? If not, that might be why your beer tastes like rubber bands (or, as it were, the hose).

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo88 View Post
I'd first question the health of that 500 yeast. Did you use a big enough starter? What was the OG?
No starter but it did ferment vigorusly about the second day and then for a few days more slowly. I smelled good fermenting. Both were to be light, starting around 36-38 and finishing around 10. I didn't see any specific instructions for the use of the yeast really, like how long it should age.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
My first thought was about the hose. Did you let the water run cold (or whatever it runs when you get all the old water out of the hose) before you filled pots for that first beer? If not, that might be why your beer tastes like rubber bands (or, as it were, the hose).

TL

Wish I had taken notice of that, but no I did not run the water a long time but I did use it to rinse out the pot but that doesn't take much. I think my GF was doing something with the hose too, I remeber having to go get it from her but I don't remember if that was before, during or after the first batch of mash water was collected, or the sparge for that matter.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

by 36 you mean 1.036, right? It seems like a starter isn't that necessary then. That is a very light beer, and the balance might have something to do with what your tasting, but now I'm puzzled. Many people associate that taste and aroma with Hot side aeration and autolysis. You might want to look into either of these issues to see if your process might be linked with them. Though most people disregard both of these as unlikely for most homebrewers.

As for the aging of your beer, that depends more on the gravity, the higher the longer.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
R2-D2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Was the turkey pot brand spankin' new for the Trappist?

Bottled: Abbey's Weiss, Betty's American Wheat, Das Boot Kolsch, Coffee Stout w/Cocoa Nibs, Coffee Stout, Imperial Amber Ale, West Coast IPA, Nelson Sauvin Session Amber Ale, Belgian Golden IPA, Ya Mama's Best Milk Stout

Old 10-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
HiGravShawn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not sure what a rubber band tastes like, but if it's similar to a band-aid type flavor this from John Palmer may help

Quote:
Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.
Do you use bleach based sanitizer? Is your water city chlorinated water?

Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo88 View Post
by 36 you mean 1.036, right? It seems like a starter isn't that necessary then. That is a very light beer, and the balance might have something to do with what your tasting, but now I'm puzzled. Many people associate that taste and aroma with Hot side aeration and autolysis. You might want to look into either of these issues to see if your process might be linked with them. Though most people disregard both of these as unlikely for most homebrewers.

As for the aging of your beer, that depends more on the gravity, the higher the longer.
Well, there is always a chance I did something wrong on that particular batch but I did two the same day and the second tastes wonderful as have all my other past brews.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-D2 View Post
Was the turkey pot brand spankin' new for the Trappist?
Yes, but I did rinse with a cleaner. Can't remember with what but something. No san star since it was all going to be boiled later.

Quick Reply