Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first experience with a very hoppy beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default My first experience with a very hoppy beer

All I really have to say is what a damn mess! 9 ounces of hops over the 70 minutes boiling and trying to get all the wort out of the pot was interesting to say the least. I will be getting a screen of some sort for my valve before I try that again. It did smell pretty damn good though!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 12:06 AM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo
All I really have to say is what a damn mess! 9 ounces of hops over the 70 minutes boiling and trying to get all the wort out of the pot was interesting to say the least. I will be getting a screen of some sort for my valve before I try that again. It did smell pretty damn good though!
Do you have some kind of Mash/lauter tun with a false bottom? I use one of those for a "hop back" of sorts. Sanitize it, then right at flameout, I pour the hot wort into it, and chill it right in the MLT. Then I just position the MLT's spigot over my funnel/strainer, which is sitting in the carboy neck, and I have a pretty simple ghetto hop-back.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-26-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Do you have some kind of Mash/lauter tun with a false bottom? I use one of those for a "hop back" of sorts. Sanitize it, then right at flameout, I pour the hot wort into it, and chill it right in the MLT. Then I just position the MLT's spigot over my funnel/strainer, which is sitting in the carboy neck, and I have a pretty simple ghetto hop-back.
That's not such a bad idea. I'm getting my MLT built this week. I just need to build the CPVC manifold and it'll be done, but I'm thinking for the sake of convenience I might just get me a bazooka screen for my kettle and see how that goes. If it doesn't work well though, that's a pretty damn decent idea.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Bazookas work well with whole hops, but tend to clog if you use pellets.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Evan! I don't mean to jump in with an off topic question, nor do I mean to question your methods....But I kinda think I remember reading in a post somewhere here about sloshing your hot wort around was a bad thing. Something about oxidizing your wort.

I may not know what I'm talking about, and If this is a retarded question I apologize. I'm not yet completely familiar with all the techniques. But I figure the only way to learn is to ask questions.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleymonster
Evan! I don't mean to jump in with an off topic question, nor do I mean to question your methods....But I kinda think I remember reading in a post somewhere here about sloshing your hot wort around was a bad thing. Something about oxidizing your wort.

I may not know what I'm talking about, and If this is a retarded question I apologize. I'm not yet completely familiar with all the techniques. But I figure the only way to learn is to ask questions.
Not a retarded question at all. What you're referring to is called "hot side aeration". I just pour it carefully, and RDWHAHB. I've done this tons of times, and have yet to have it negatively affect a batch. You want to minimize sloshing, etc., while it's hot, but a quick pour from the kettle to another vessel is rarely going to be enough to make a difference.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
Foreigner
Recipes 

Quote:
Not a retarded question at all. What you're referring to is called "hot side aeration". I just pour it carefully, and RDWHAHB. I've done this tons of times, and have yet to have it negatively affect a batch. You want to minimize sloshing, etc., while it's hot, but a quick pour from the kettle to another vessel is rarely going to be enough to make a difference.
I use the exact same method and agree with all the above info.

I try not to drink anything harder than Gin before breakfast - W.C. Fields

Primaries: Ed's Haus + Munich, Ed's Haus + medium crystal

Secondaries: suck :)

Bottles: Chili Stout, Dry Irish Stout, Bitter Ass IPA, Headstrong Munich Lager clone, Lawnmower ale with chocolate and munich malt

Bulk Aging: Wildberry Sweet Mead - Orange Vanilla Dry Mead

Up Next: Orfy's Old Speckled Hen and an IPA of some kind

Old 06-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Cool. Thanks guys.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

There's nothing you can attach to a kettle drain that will stop 9oz of pellet hops and still allow wort to flow. If you chill in the kettle with an IC, it gets even worse.

Some realistic solutions include using a large hop bag for most of the pellet hops, using an equal mix of pellet/whole leaf (or all leaf), and whirlpooling and siphoning over the top. I suppose another one is to never use that many hops, but I'm afraid once you go hoppy, you never go back.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 06-26-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
There's nothing you can attach to a kettle drain that will stop 9oz of pellet hops and still allow wort to flow. If you chill in the kettle with an IC, it gets even worse.

Some realistic solutions include using a large hop bag for most of the pellet hops, using an equal mix of pellet/whole leaf (or all leaf), and whirlpooling and siphoning over the top. I suppose another one is to never use that many hops, but I'm afraid once you go hoppy, you never go back.
Well, living in the county that bring you Stone, it is hard not to appreciate some hops from time to time. I think the whole leaf option seems really reasonable. Sure, they're a bit more costly but I'll pay the extra 50 cents/2 ounces to keep the mess down. Using a hop bag is totally reasonable too. Like I said, it is all a learning experience!

Quick Reply