Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first ever Batch of Beer, am i doing it right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 907

You should always have your beer under airlock, if you no longer use the blow off tube. I thought you had a blow off tube, but is the end of the tube under water or sanitizer?

I don't quite understand your recipe- most recipes make 5 gallons and add some hops. It sounds like you have a good start, though. I use a 7.5 gallon bucket with an airlock for fermentation, making 5 gallon batches. There is no one right way to have to do it. The howtobrew.com website is a great resource, and I recommend it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #12
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Sounds like he has some pre-hopped malt extract, that's why I was suggesting the malt and hops seperate on his next batch.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #13
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Your OG sounds much too low for the extract you say you added.
My understanding is you used a 4lb wheat kit and a 3.3lb can of amber extract syrup. With a 4 gal batch this should have produced an OG of 1.064, which is a big beer. The calculator I used predicted a finish ABV of 6.2%.
Still will probably make a decent beer but probably a little under hopped.
A kit with unhopped extract, specialty grains, and hops will probably make better beer and will move you along to more advanced brewing techniques, however it will require a 16-20qt brew pot.
Craig

Old 04-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #14
DanS
Recipes 

I dont have a 4 gallon batch. its 5 gallons total, according to the book i've been reading it said put in 3 gallons of cold clean water, add your wort, then top off to the five gallon mark with more clean cold water.d

Old 04-13-2007, 06:52 PM   #15
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS
I dont have a 4 gallon batch. its 5 gallons total, according to the book i've been reading it said put in 3 gallons of cold clean water, add your wort, then top off to the five gallon mark with more clean cold water.d
Thats better but I still predict an OG of 1.053. Did you adjust for temperature? Are you sure the wort and water was mixed well?
Anyways it doesn't really matter unless you want to know what the ABV of your beer was.
Craig

Old 04-13-2007, 11:59 PM   #16
newguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

and as far as getting samples for your hydo readings I use a sanitized turkey baster. just be carefully when pulling out samples as it takes a bit of practice to keep all the sample in the baster. especially if your pulling a sample out of a carboy.

--I Brew Therefore I am...-

In the Works: Common room ESB--(AG) Belgian Wit---(EXT)

Meadery: Grape apple mesquite cyser

On Tap: Common Room E.S.B.-----Belgin Wit

Old 04-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #17
DanS
Recipes 

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments, I put the fermentation Lock on saturday afternoon,(had about 2 1/2 days with airtube) however I did not realize the comments about the airtube to be in sanitized water until a day or two after i put the blowoff tube in, Is there a chance i have a contaminated batch and how can I tell if I do? Also the instructions for the beer kit are different for the ones in the book, the kit said not to boil the ingredients however the book told me to neglect this and ALWAYS boil ingredients. Also, the kit says keep it under fermentation lock for 4 - 8 days the book says 8 - 14 days. What should I listen to and is there any other suggestions from anyone about anything that I am doing? Thanks, im already starting to love this hobby!

Old 04-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 907

Well, you should have had the end of the tube under water or sanitizer, but probably no harm was done. The fermentation was probably strong enough to keep all the bacteria and fruit flies out. If the batch is contaminated, you'll know, don't worry.

Make sure you fill the airlock with vodka or water, up to the line. I follow the 1-2-3 rule- 1 week (or more) in primary, 2 weeks (or more) in secondary, 3 weeks in the bottle and drink.

I usually leave it more like 10 days in primary before racking it. And I always drink at least one way before the 3 weeks is up! So, what I'm trying to say is that there really isn't any wrong way to do this. If you're not using a secondary, leave it in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks or so before bottling it. That's the only "rule"- make sure fermentation is completely done before bottling.

Quick Reply