Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My First Catastrophe - Should I dump it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
NeedsMoreHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My First Catastrophe - Should I dump it?

After 30 extract batches over 2 years, I just had my first real catastrophe and I'm wondering if I should just dump it.

Quick version: The plastic spigot on my ale pail cracked and I just let it drain into my brewpot.

Long version: 2 days ago (Saturday) I finished brewing what promised to be a delicious IPA and put it about 4.5 gallons into my 6 gallon plastic bucket. I fitted the bucket with a plastic spigot so that when I bottle or transfer to secondary, I don't have to use a racking cane, I just attach a vinyl hose and open it up.

When I came home from work today (Monday), about 48 hours after pitching, I went to check on airlock activity and noticed a small puddle around the bucket. The spigot was still attached and dripping slightly, I moved it to the kitchen sink and it started streaming, so I tried to tighten the spigot. I guess the gasket was holding it to the bucket before I moved it, but the spigot turned loosely when I tried to tighten it, as if the nut on the inside had fallen off. I held it in place and let beer trickle out while thought about what to do.

I rolled up the sleeve of my free arm, rinsed it in hot water, sighed, and plunged my hand into the beer, hoping to find the nut and tighten the spigot back up. Then, I discovered what I should have already known, the spigot had cracked at the base of the threads.

I quickly grabbed my brewpot, gave it quick rinse with hot, sink water and let the bucket drain into it. It foamed up a bit, but I was able to put the lid on it, its floating on the foam a little bit as I write.

I think I'm going to run to home depot, get a new spigot, pour it back in the bucket and hope for the best. What do you think?

SHOULD I JUST DUMP IT?

Here's the facts:
I put my rinsed, but not sanitized arm in it, introducing possible infection.
I poured it into a somewhat clean brew pot, introducing a little chlorinated water and possible infection since it was not sanitized.
I aerated the bejesus out of it by letting it drain out of the hole into the brewpot (but it was only 48 hours into fermentation and still going).
It's been sitting almost an hour and will be another hour before I can get a new spigot, so it's sitting open to the elements with a loose fitting lid on it.

Good news, I probably lost less than a gallon. So, is it worth putting the extra time, energy, bottle cleaning and bottle caps into it to let it sit for a few weeks, bottle it up and hope its not infected?

Or, should I just cut my losses and accept that I lost a brew day plus about $40 worth of ingredients?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
snowtires
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

I actually dont know what i would do, i lost a spigot too but it was when i was cleaning with hot water not wort luckily. i thought if that was my beer i would be mad so i bought an autosiphon instead and i love that tool

Primary 1 Hoppy birthday IPA
Primary 2 Citra blonde
Secondary: Do people still use secondaries?
Drinking: Beer from the store :(

Old 03-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
NeedsMoreHops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tomorrow when the LHBS opens, I'm buying an autosiphon and a new bucket. Now, I'm off to Home Depot for something to stop up the hole, when I return, I'll decide if I'm actually going to use it.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
tampa911
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would say ride it out at least until it would be ready for bottling. Keep an eye on it and make a game time decision on bottling day.

I have had one brew day, and that batch is sitting in a secondary for another week, so take my advice witha grain of salt, but from all the reading I have done here there is a good chance it will be fine (may want to run it through a fine strainer for arm hair if your arms look anything like mine

Old 03-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 51

campden + wait + repitch yeast + bottle?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
Worticia
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I hope you kept it. You will likely get beer.

You will also get to taste how the beer turns out when things go wrong.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
trujunglist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 104

They sell spigots at home depot? What aisle/section?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
prandlesc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd keep going. Taste it before you bottle and make a decision. I'll bet any nasties will have reared their ugly heads by then. My bet is you didn't introduce any infection. Let us know.

Next Brews: Off White - TBD, but at least another try at the Heady Topper clone

Old 03-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
eric_618
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah. Dumping now or at bottling time doesn't matter. Might as wait it out till bottling time. Ya never know.

Total n00b. Please be gentle :)

Old 03-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #10
BrewPilot74
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I think you will be just fine. If worst comes to worst and you find out later that you do have an infection, you can dump it then but might as well wait and see. I bet you get a decent beer out of it.

Quick Reply