Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > my first brewing experience and a quick ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
knucklehead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default my first brewing experience and a quick ?

After perusing some of the vast wealth of info on this site, I purchased a Coopers Mini Brewery Kit. I made the first batch(the lager that comes with the brewing kit) following the directions exactly. It wasn't too hard. I was a nervous wreck concerned about messing something up, but everything seemed to proceed as advertised. After eleven days in the fermenter, I bottled yesterday. I cleaned everything up and now have Coopers Mexican Cerveza bubbling away in the fermenter. I have to give the Coopers kit thumbs up for being as advertised. It seemed to have everything I needed. With that being said, there are alot of things I'm wanting to get. I still don't know if I'll be able to stomach the brew I just bottled, but there was a sense of accomplishment as I stacked the bottles in the closet yesterday. At least, it did taste like warm, flat, green beer. Last Monday night, I ordered a bottling tree, sanitizer, and the Mexican Cerveza kit from AHS utilizing standard delivery. I received the e-mail confirmation Tuesday morning. I received the order Wednesday morning. Absolutely great service. I will be ordering again.

My question is this. I just received notice this afternoon, that I may have to go to Canada for two weeks. I'm still unsure of my departure date, but if I leave this Friday, will my brew be OK in the fermenter untouched until Thanksgiving possibly?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Actually, it'll probably be better than it would be if you didn't leave it in the fermenter until then.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes it will be fine. I always leave my beers at least 4 weeks and many times longer. You will be amazed at how good your second beer will be compared to the first because of the extra time.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:13 AM   #4
Brewin06111
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Actually, it'll probably be better than it would be if you didn't leave it in the fermenter until then.
+1 to this..... It will give the yeast some time to do some cleaning up

Old 11-03-2009, 02:22 AM   #5
barracudamagoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
+1. I too leave my beers in the fermenter at least 3 weeks. It gives the yeasties plenty of time to do their part, and allows me to sit on my butt longer because I'm lazy!

Primary 1: Lime Wine
Primary 2: Strawberry Wine
Bottled 11/5/09: Wheat beer
Bottled 7/28/09: Palilalia IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
He simply can't handle our awesomeness.

Quick Reply