The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first brew is this weekend - anyone have suggestions for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
ianhoopes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first brew is this weekend - anyone have suggestions for me?

Just thought I'd introduce myself. Long time beer drinker, but first time brewer.

I've gathered all my supplies, I have a large aluminum brew pot, two fermenters (One with a spigot for bottling), necessary tubing, airlock, brushes, sanitizer, etc.

I'm planning to make a heavily hopped APA, something almost close to an AIPA.

Here are my ingredients:

6.6lb Pale LME
1lb pale DME
1lb cracked Crystal 40L
1 oz Simcoe whole leaf
1 oz Centennial whole leaf
1 oz Cascade whole leaf
1 vial California Ale V yeast

My plan:

Steep grain for 30 minutes at 160F
60 min: Boil 3.3lb LME and 1lb DME, add .5oz Simcoe
30 min: Add .5oz Simcoe
15 min: add .5oz Centennial and Cascade
10 min: add 3.3lb LME
0 min: cool and strain hops while pouring into fermenter

I'm planning to ferment until it's slowed or stops, around 7-14 days from what I've read, then add the remaining .5oz of centennial and cascade and let it dry hop for another 7 days, then bottle into 22oz bombers.

Anyone see flaws, problems in my execution, or have a recommendation! I'll be sure to come back and update everyone on the process.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
ahaley
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Sounds good, the only input that I have is, I love 22 oz. I use those and they are great for me. Not do great for friends and family that don't like my brews though lol more for me.

Good luck in your brews

South Paw all day, every day.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
hillybilly
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Get a good nights sleep the night before an start early just in case something comes up and you have to go get supplies

Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
cherrob123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A good nights sleep is great advice!!

I prefer a stainless steel kettle vs. an aluminum one. The aluminum can't be cleaned with the oxygenated cleaners like Oxyclean. I use the crap outta Oxyclean and swear by it.

If you use Oxyclean on aluminum, you will immediately oxidize it and getting that crap off of your kettle is a chore. Been there. Done that.

That is really the only reason why you should use stainless over aluminum.

Good luck and check in from time to time and update us.

Bottled Chimay Red Clone
Bottled St. Arnolds Xmas Ale Clone
Clarifying Gruit using bittering herbs instead of hops
On Deck Summer Kolsch. Will brew this on National Home Brew Day.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

If you can make a starter is recommend that with the liquid yeast

Prepare a brew sheet so you can make brew day notes that you can reference and make a check list to keep track of your needed steps during the process

Keep a bucket of sanitizer handy so you can keep items in it or quickly sanitize something as you brew

Take your time and don't get caught up in the excitement of your first brew and if you do screw something up, relax because it's probably not as big a deal as you will think it is

Have a great time and keep us updated! Cheers

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 892 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 487

Not sure about the AA units, but I would switch the 60 min Simcoe with the 15 min Centennial.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
marqos
Recipes 

Your plan brings up a question I've had; perhaps some more experienced hands can offer an answer.

You are going to be steeping a pound of grain for a given length of time while holding it at a specific temperature. This suggests to me that you are going for some kind of mash and/or partial mash. But my understanding is that Crystal is one of many specialty malts that offer no diastatic power and hence will not benefit from any form of mashing.

So the question: Is there any benefit to fiddling around and trying to steep Crystal at a specific temperature? Why not just throw it in cold, bring the whole thing up to temperature and remove prior to boiling? (I understand you don't want to boil the specialties.)

Perhaps I'm over-thinking things -- a few weeks perusing this forum has my head spinning with info and ideas...

Old 04-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
BostonHomeBruin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Tow pieces of equipment to invest in over the next few weeks: an autosiphon and a carboy (I prefer plastic). You won't need them on brew day but they'll help later in the process.

A secondary fermentation is a very easy way to improve beer quality and it gives you more flexibility.

The autosiphon is a very cheap and simple device that makes racking and bottling so much easier. Starting a siphon without it was so hard, and the autosiphon solved my biggest brewing frustration. I would just use that to bottle and ignore the spigot.

Happy brewing!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1064 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

If using an aluminum pot for brewing, you actually WANT an oxidized layer inside the kettle before brewing. You can do an oxyclean soak to accomplish this, but most of us just do an hour boil with water and this gives you an idea of how long your system takes to reach a boil prior to brewing. And like the others have stated, stay relaxed. Have a documented plan, but don't stress if things don't go perfect and give yourself extra time in case you have to deviate from the plan. Also, wait to start drinking until the boil starts. Welcome to the obsession!

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
ianhoopes
Recipes 

@JohnnyO

So you mean, boil the .5oz Centennial for 60 and do the other .5oz of Simcoe for 15 instead? May I ask why?

@Margos

My reasoning for steeping the Crystal 40L is to give a bit of freshness to the beer - from what I understand pure extract beers are never really great, just good. I thought it would be nice to have some actual grain used in the mix to make the beer fuller, although I understand it should be adding little to no gravity to the wort. Also I love the smell of fresh cracked malt.

Quick Reply