Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first brew is ruined!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
timduncan200021
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Default My first brew is ruined!!

So earlier tonight I had a splitting migraine that i sometimes get and crashed out super early, like 6 pm. Well... I guess my wife sent the kids up to our bathroom to take a shower, something that they do with no problem regularly, and yesterday I had just placed my lbk in a ice water bath to cold crash it because I planned to transfer to bottles on Friday. I have gone two weeks patiently waiting, with growing anticipation of the first brew.

Needless to say I just woke up from my early slumber right now at midnight and i find toilet paper strewn around our entire bathroom as if a group of teenagers had gotten in an TP'd our bathroom and my cooler lid halfway off. I open it up and the lid is off my lbk, there is pieces of ice floating in there as well as pieces of toilet paper and looks like someone spit in there.

IMAGINE my anger...my kids are 5 and 6 and know better but I think because dad was incapacitated they had a free run at shower time because SWMBO had a friend over downstairs.

So tomorrow morning I will be tossing it out, speaking to my children so that this doesn't happen again and attempting to guilt SWMBO into letting me move up to the 5 gallon setup that I have had my eye on : )

Has something similar ever happened to you guys?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 71

So far, the worst my kids have done is pour maple syrup into a bag of bottle caps.

Fermenter 4: Beer
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timduncan200021 View Post
So earlier tonight I had a splitting migraine that i sometimes get and crashed out super early, like 6 pm. Well... I guess my wife sent the kids up to our bathroom to take a shower, something that they do with no problem regularly, and yesterday I had just placed my lbk in a ice water bath to cold crash it because I planned to transfer to bottles on Friday. I have gone two weeks patiently waiting, with growing anticipation of the first brew.

Needless to say I just woke up from my early slumber right now at midnight and i find toilet paper strewn around our entire bathroom as if a group of teenagers had gotten in an TP'd our bathroom and my cooler lid halfway off. I open it up and the lid is off my lbk, there is pieces of ice floating in there as well as pieces of toilet paper and looks like someone spit in there.

IMAGINE my anger...my kids are 5 and 6 and know better but I think because dad was incapacitated they had a free run at shower time because SWMBO had a friend over downstairs.

So tomorrow morning I will be tossing it out, speaking to my children so that this doesn't happen again and attempting to guilt SWMBO into letting me move up to the 5 gallon setup that I have had my eye on : )

Has something similar ever happened to you guys?
Has this ever happened? Lol! I have never had someone TP my bathroom, spit in my beer, and throw ice cubes in my beer.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
sjohnv3
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My kids are 14 and 20! They don't mess with my brews until they are done.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
somedudefromguam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Ill bet the beer is still good...

Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
timduncan200021
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Lol with my limited brewing knowledge I would say its probably not good any more. Toilet paper ice and spit... Maybe I just created a new style! Ill bottle it and call it "little demon spit". It's just crazy that for my first brew I read everything, started out pretty simple, didn't really make any newbie mistakes, was waiting patiently, and after all that its not a newbie brewing mistake that ruins my first brew but my kids. Well maybe that constitutes a newbie mistake on my part, it definitely won't happen again.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by timduncan200021 View Post
Lol with my limited brewing knowledge I would say its probably not good any more. Toilet paper ice and spit... Maybe I just created a new style! Ill bottle it and call it "little demon spit". It's just crazy that for my first brew I read everything, started out pretty simple, didn't really make any newbie mistakes, was waiting patiently, and after all that its not a newbie brewing mistake that ruins my first brew but my kids. Well maybe that constitutes a newbie mistake on my part, it definitely won't happen again.
I would say thats a newbie brewing/parenting mistake. Kids always get into things, and seeing as cold crashing isn't a necessary step....
Maybe next time you try to cold crash you will use a fridge or if you have a cold garage that may just be a better option. Good luck on brew #2
Kegged empty

Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 47

As a father of a five and one year old I can completely understand. Thankfully my wife is much more attentive to my brewing than even I am at times. Even then my stir plate will be started up randomly when the yeast should be floccing. Get out there and make a fresh batch.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Strain out the tp and drink that stuff. I bet it's fine! It takes a lot to ruin beer.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
RuffRider
Master Chief's Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps10 View Post
Strain out the tp and drink that stuff. I bet it's fine! It takes a lot to ruin beer.
+1

There is no way I wouldn't try to salvage some or most of it. Rack that beer to a bottling bucket and leave the TP and alleged spit behind.

Quick Reply