The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first brew, pumpkin ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
brewsnthelou
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default My first brew, pumpkin ale

Well, I just opened my first bottle of my first homebrew and I've gotta say, it's not bad. It's an extract kit of pumpkin ale. Even though I added extra pumpkin to the mix, it's lacking the flavor. It's also a pretty murky looking mix. But I was super pleased at the head, it was great! Sweet taste to start, finishing with a hop/bitterness on the back.

I had low expectations and I wouldn't enter this in any beer competitions but for my virgin brew, I'm happy. What a great hobby! Onto the next

"BEER...the other white meat"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #2
dbreienrk1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A little early in the year for a pumpkin ale, but who cares right? What is your recipe? I do a pumpkin ale every year and I use 2 30oz cans of pumpkin. This year I'm adding a third can to go over the top with pumpkin flavor.

Question, did you bake your pumpkin prior to adding it in? I've read this helps with extracting sugar and flavor from it. Also, I add strait to the boil 1/2 at 60 minutes and 1/2 at 10 mins.

http://www.piedmontbrewingcompany.com/
http://koinz04.blogspot.com/

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Abandoned (for most brews)
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply