Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My First Brew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
miketobias01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Default My First Brew!

Well after reading The Complete joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian, watch brewing TV all 71 ep. twice! and some other people on You tube! I ordered my starter kit from Northern Brewer. My first brew was an American Wheat Beer extract kit! Before brew day I did a dry run of what I was going to do. Talking and mentally picturing each step! On brew day, From start to finish took me four and half hours. Boil over on the hot break was the only thing that almost got away from me! I loved it! It was so much fun,I think I am going to like this beer making thing. Bottling day was a little harder,to me I really needed another person to help.Today I get to open a beer to see how they are coming along! My last OG test before bottling the beer tasted good! A little hoppy! But I know that will mellow out with time. I took good notes and I"m keeping records of temperatures everyday where my bottled beer is resting. I hit my SG @ 1.044 and my FG @ 1.010 for three day in a row before I bottled!

Posit!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Welcome to the forums !

Let us know how it tastes.

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

miketobias01 Likes This 
Old 01-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2103 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

Welocome! How long has it been bottled?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 773 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 263

With practice bottling will become easier. It usually takes me a little over an hour from getting the equipment out to having everything cleaned up and put away but I have bottled well over a thousand bottles now.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2103 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

It takes my middle aged self about 2.5 hours to set up do it & clean up. Gotta do that today. Darn nit picky cleaning takes too long when you put off the little things.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Congrats and welcome to the world of home brewing. Be very careful though, it's addicting!!!!

BTW, did you use a bottle filling wand?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
miketobias01
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

WOW! the beer taste awesome!!! Head retention was almost none! I like the taste! you can taste more of the wheat now! The hoppiness is starting a mellow a little! I was going to take a picture but forgot until the beer was all gone! Ooopps! I bottle it on the Jan. 7th,and opened it yesterday the 12th!
jflongo~ yes I used a filling wand. that worked great! I just need to find a way to hold the wand when I cap what I filled, I filled 6 bottles at a time,just need to figure how to hold the filling wand while I put the caps on. Any ideas out there? Having two people at that time would of made a good assembly line. I just might put one more in the frig get cool down and take some pictures.

Posit!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
Marauder
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketobias01
WOW! the beer taste awesome!!! Head retention was almost none! I like the taste! you can taste more of the wheat now! The hoppiness is starting a mellow a little! I was going to take a picture but forgot until the beer was all gone! Ooopps! I bottle it on the Jan. 7th,and opened it yesterday the 12th!
jflongo~ yes I used a filling wand. that worked great! I just need to find a way to hold the wand when I cap what I filled, I filled 6 bottles at a time,just need to figure how to hold the filling wand while I put the caps on. Any ideas out there? Having two people at that time would of made a good assembly line. I just might put one more in the frig get cool down and take some pictures.

Posit!
If I am understanding you, your saying less than one week in bottles? That is most likely not enough time. It usually takes about 2 weeks to properly bottle condition, and at lower temps it can take up to 3. I still struggle with being patient my self but we must be strong haha

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketobias01 View Post

Posit!
SO EXCITED YOU ARE!

Just look at all those exclamation points.
Can't blame you. I'm damn near just as excited after drinking my 4th bottle (not all tonight) of my first SMaSH beer. Summit/vienna IPA.
KISS at it's finest.

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Quick Reply