Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
MisterClean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default My first Beer

I'm in the process of brewing my first beer. I offered my equipment and the Spring Irish Stout from AHS, and did my boil last Wednesday.

Brew day went great, my dad and I really enjoyed the process. I went with the Muntons Premium Gold Ale dry yeast, because I don't have the starter experience yet, and wanted something that would just "go". And it went pretty well. Fermentation kicked off within 24 hours, and by the 3rd day I had a really great looking thick krausen. This was with the carboy in a temp controlled fridge with the probe taped to the carboy. Temp has been set at 62.

I checked the beer today, and it still has some bubbles, but has slowed down considerably. Krause has already fallen, and there are some yeast clumps floating on top. I didn't want to open it yet, so now gravity check, but I did go ahead and raise the fermenter temp a few degrees to around 65-67. Hopefully this will rouse the yeast a little. And help to clear everything up.

Plan on checking for FG next Wednesday, and if everything looks good for a few days in a row I'll keg it and force carb. I'll post updates here when I do.

Oh yeah, pictures:

forumrunner_20130326_201926.jpg

forumrunner_20130326_201959.jpg

forumrunner_20130326_202029.jpg

forumrunner_20130326_202054.jpg

forumrunner_20130326_202150.jpg

the best thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

StrongBad42 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Jeremy_N
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Cool bud. Looks great. Keep in mind the taste will improve after some time in the keg. Give it at least a week before you drink a whole lot of it. If your anything like me, that will be hard. Haha.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
MisterClean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks man, hope it winds up tasting as great as it looks. The waiting is the toughest part. Told my friend that also homebrews that I'm going to be slow carbing it, and he's said "so what 3 days?" I told him a week carbing and he couldn't believe it. He's not as good at the patience thing lol.

Still, pretty excited to see how it turns out. I was pretty meticulous with my sanitizing, so I'm not worried about infection. After doing some reading, most posts say it's normal for primary to wrap up in about a week, and that raising the temp a bit, and moving the carboy (swirling a little) will rouse any slow yeast. So that's what I'm hoping to accomplish by raising the temp a little, hopefully it's a good move.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
Jeremy_N
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Raising the temp is good. From my understanding, the primary fermentation is where the yeast create alcohol and co2 and byproducts. Secondary fermentation is where the remaining yeast clean up the byproducts it created, giving a cleaner beer with less chance of undesired flavors. Most recipes I have done seem to recommend raising the temp for secondary. Also, during primary fermentation, the beer is actually warmer than ambient temp. But perhaps your temp controller and fermentation chamber accounted for that. Fermentation temps and sanitation are very important so you will be very happy with your beers I am betting. And brew another one as soon as your fermenters are empty to get a nice pipeline. I am having problems with not being able to keep enough homebrews on tap. Damn family and friends...

Old 03-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #5
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Temp controlled fridge already? You are well ahead of the game! Yeah I keep my ales in the low 60's for the first 4-5 days of fermentation and then ramp it up a few degrees to help the beer reach FG and help the yeast clean up. How warm you ramp it to depends on the strain. For neutral ale strains going from 62-66 to ~68 seems to work well.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 03-27-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
billpaustin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That looks good! I always stick one of those strip thermometers, like for aquariums, on the glass carboys.

This is fun :)

Old 03-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
MisterClean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Temp controlled fridge already? You are well ahead of the game! Yeah I keep my ales in the low 60's for the first 4-5 days of fermentation and then ramp it up a few degrees to help the beer reach FG and help the yeast clean up. How warm you ramp it to depends on the strain. For neutral ale strains going from 62-66 to ~68 seems to work well.
Good to hear. Also the fridge was a donor (that's why it's so dirty inside. I don't care how it looks as long as it cools), so I just had to buy the Ranco controller. It gets too damn hot and humid here in the summer for me to have to constantly have to worry about my fermenter temps in a swamp cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpasutin View Post
That looks good! I always stick one of those strip thermometers, like for aquariums, on the glass carboys.

That's a good idea, I think I'll pick one of those up at petco tomorrow.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #8
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Sounds like a well planned brew, nice setup. Now, build your pipeline, try a lager, you'll be an addict soon if not already!

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #9
MisterClean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'll have to stick with the pipeline idea for now I'd love to try a lager, well really I'd like to make a doppelbock. I don't have time, though. I'm leaving the country on business in August and won't be back for a while. So it will have to wait. Once I get back however, I will give it a shot.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClean View Post
I'll have to stick with the pipeline idea for now I'd love to try a lager, well really I'd like to make a doppelbock. I don't have time, though. I'm leaving the country on business in August and won't be back for a while. So it will have to wait. Once I get back however, I will give it a shot.
Sounds like a PERFECT time to make a lager! Brew a few weeks before you leave, lager while you are gone, come back to crisp, clean, delicious lager!

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply