Hey guys, I just brewed my first beer and wanted to walk through my process to see if you have suggestions.
- I brewed a blonde ale, so pretty safe beer for my first time.
- I cooked outside (VA, temp about 45 degrees outside) on my barbecue burner and it took a while to heat up the water, which was six gallons.
- The directions told me to put the grains in right way and take them out before it reaches 170 degrees, but at 45 mins I took the grains out and the water wasnt even 155 yet. I put the grains in for about 5 mins when it was at 160 because I read you should just keep them in there for 30 mins around that 160 temp.
- After I mixed the malt in and added the hops, I left the cover on the pot for the most part because it was the only way it would boil, but I read that you shouldnt leave it on because bad chemicals cant escape.
- As I mixed the Wort, I kept wondering whether I should scoop all the muck that build up on the sides and the bottom side of the cover while it was cooking. Should I push that stuff back in or let it sit along the sides?
- All went good with putting in the fermenter, which is a plastic carboy. My only question is that during the fermentation, the temperature has been around 62 degrees. It seems to be fermenting fine, but I know this is on the low end. Any concerns and if so, suggestions?
Thats pretty much the questions I have. Please let me know if you have any advice/guidance. I love my new hobby!