Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My First beer at 15 days post brew.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
JRDroid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My First beer at 15 days post brew.

I am brewing a porter with this recipe. It has been fermenting 15 days at about 68 degrees. It has dropped from 1.044 to 1.022. The airlock hasn't bubbled since the second day, but when I was watching the beer just now, there were bubbles steadily rising in the bucket. There was an oily film on the surface. I plan on taking another reading on Sunday to see if it has dropped any more because I would like to have it in the bottle by the 24th at the latest.
Here is a picture:

Does everything seem to be going okay?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Looks like beer!

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 01-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
ruppe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How often do you take the lid off to look at it? It's working, leave it alone.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Keep it covered up, it looks fine! Opening it up is more likely to cause issues than leaving it alone. Pandora's Box and all that jazz.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
JRDroid
Recipes 

Today was the first time I had opened it up since brew day. I opened it up to get a hydrometer sample. Is there a way to get a sample without opening it?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Yup! There are buckets with a spigot near the bottom. If your bucket doesn't have one I would suggest getting one. Some brew shops can modify your current bucket. The spigot allows for sampling as well as easier transfer to a bottling bucket or secondary without risk of oxidation.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I don't recommend fermenting in a bucket with a spigot, just wait until it starts to leak a day or so in to your primary.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Yotie View Post
Yup! There are buckets with a spigot near the bottom. If your bucket doesn't have one I would suggest getting one. Some brew shops can modify your current bucket. The spigot allows for sampling as well as easier transfer to a bottling bucket or secondary without risk of oxidation.
That seems to be generally thought of as a bad idea. The spigot can be hard to clean - which could mean a higher chance of infection. They are also cheap, so they can start to leak. A small leak might be fine for the 20 minutes of bottling, but it'd be a problem if it's sitting for a week+.

The chances of oxidation by opening the bucket is extremely tiny. There's a nice layer of CO2 there. Your biggest risk is something falling into the beer, and causing an infection, which is still unlikely.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

I was referring to oxidation when racking or pouring into another vessel. I don't care for siphoning and enjoy the easy access of the spigot. Keeps me from fighting the lid to get it off as well.

Not going to turn this into a thread of spigot or no spigot, but my 2 cents; I have always used a bucket with spigot, and never had an issue. Yes, cleaning can be a pain, and it takes a bit of effort to reattach the spigot so it doesn't leak, but I haven't had an infection or a leak for a brew yet.

I was unaware that this was a hot topic, as buckets with spigots is all I have ever seen IRL.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #10
JRDroid
Recipes 

I have one of each. I had never considered brewing in the spigot bucket

Quick Reply