The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is my first batch ruined?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
TyrolBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is my first batch ruined?

Hello ya'll - I am worried that I ruined my first batch last night.

So I'm brewing a 5g batch and had transferred it from primary to secondary a week ago. I am doing the secondary in the sanitized bottling bucket. Last night, I checked the gravity of the beer. After putting the lid back on the bucket, I was putting the airlock into the hole in the lid when the little piece of black rubber around that hole fell into the beer! Quickly taking the lid off, I could see that it wasn't floating. So now I have this piece of unsanitized rubber at the bottom of my beer.

Is this an obvious issue or is there still a chance that the beer can be good? I was planning to bottle today since the gravity has stabilized.

Any advice on saving or ditching my first batch? I don't want to end up with bottle bombs...

Cheers,
TB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 701 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 218

First thing to do it relax. That little rubber grommet probably won't hurt your beer at all unless you had the bucket in a very unsanitary location. If it did get infected, it will take some time to make bottle bombs so go ahead and bottle it and after a couple weeks, start opening and watch for any sign of infection. If you have it chilled properly and it gushes when you open it, start opening a couple more. If they all gush, you had an infection. If none of them gush, enjoy.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
EuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

chances of infection from the stopper are lower since the beer is finished with fermentation and there is alcohol in solution now. Probably will be fine, just proceed as normal. Since this is your first batch it won't be around long anyway, enjoy!

Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: New Belgium Ranger IPA Clone attempt #1
Bottled Southern Tier Pumking Clone

Planned: EdWort's haus pale ale
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

DON'T PANIC!!!

Now that you are busy not panicking, your beer is probably fine. It is most susceptible to infection BEFORE fermentation starts. At this point you have an alcoholic environment that is protecting the beer from infection. I went arm fishing in a batch when I pitched my stir bar in with my starter and THAT came out fine!!!

On top of that my FIL and I got flat pissed on a ton of great craft beer the first time we brewed. We did just about everything wrong--we had no way to cool the wort so we just waited and drank with no lid on the bucket for about 2 hours til it came down to pitching temps. My rather intoxicated 6'4" 300+ lb. FIL carried the bucket next door to his house, got a liittle top heavy, and went ass over tea kettle over the bucket...WITHOUT SPILLING ANYTHING!!! Shook the sh!t out of it though! It was a big Belgian and we had no idea about blow-off tubes and it gushed out of the airlock by morning...the next infection risk. Cleaned that up but had no control over fermentation temps...IN TEXAS

The beer was GREAT (might have tasted just a bit like nanners , but still great!)

Bottom line, beer is really hard to screw up, RDWHAHB

Welcome to your new obsession

Old 01-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Probably half the brewers on these boards have had that happen to them. When it happened to me (first batch), I rinsed my arm under the hottest water I could stand for several minutes after scrubbing it with detergent. The beer came out fine.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The chances of infection are MUCH lower than what everyone makes it seem like. I was crazy about sanitation when I first started... now I slip up all the time. I have bottled with unsanitized bottles, licked bottles (experiment), dropped the same piece of plastic, put my hand in the wort, dirty spoon to stir, etc. I have never had an infection or ruined batch. My word of advice is not to worry until you actually see a problem.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

You beer is fine, you actually started out as a true homebrewer. Many many many folk's first time posts were this very thing. Including a certain moderator. It happens to the best of us....In fact despite the boneheaded things we do, our beer survives...

Read the stories here, and see just how hardy your beer really is. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

Welcomem to the obsession.

FYI I am drinking the beer the stirbar was in, it is fantastic.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
TyrolBrewing
Recipes 

Thanks to everyone for their extremely helpful and prompt replies. Taking your advice, I went ahead and bottled yesterday. I'll let you know how this turns out!

Cheers
TB

Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFB View Post
DON'T PANIC!!!

Now that you are busy not panicking, your beer is probably fine. It is most susceptible to infection BEFORE fermentation starts. At this point you have an alcoholic environment that is protecting the beer from infection. I went arm fishing in a batch when I pitched my stir bar in with my starter and THAT came out fine!!!
On my second batch, I dropped a nasty piece of 1'x1' plastic into my beer when I was bottling. The plastic was filthy and without thinking I reached into the beer and pulled it out. Plastic looked clean, so lord knows what got into the beer. I bottled as normal. Beer came out fine.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
TyrolBrewing
Recipes 

Thanks to everyone for the tips. As an update, the beer came out fine (for a first batch) and I'm already brewing my second batch, being extra careful of the grommet.

Quick Reply