Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My First Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
Ed S.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My First Batch

Greetings all,

My first post here, regarding my first batch of home brew. I made a kit from Brewers Best - German Altbier, and am about to start my second - Octoberfest.

My first question - Does anyone know what Altbier is? Truthfully, I didn't know what it was when I selected it, but I liked the description. It turned out great, clear, good body, nice light bitter, and a fruity aftertaste.

This forum looks great - I look forward to learning from all of the experienced brewers here, Thanks

Ed S.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Welcome to the Forum, Ed! I love Alt beers. Unlike most German beers, which are lagers, Alt beer is one of the few German ales. August Schell in Minnesota makes a decent version, but you won't find too many American brewers' versions on the store shelf. More likely, you'll find some German imports, like Sticke Alt.

They ferment warm and are conditioned at cool temperatures. I brewed an extract version last December. I did the secondary fermentation in the garage, which was around 45-50oF at the time, since I don't have a dedicated fridge (yet!).

Here is a nice article on Alt beers from the BYO website.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is copied from the LHBS that I order my stuff from:

""Altbier" means "Old Beer" in German. This name comes from the fact that it's fermented with an ale yeast; which lager-loving Germans consider old-fashioned. This beer has a clean, crisp taste, especially for an ale. Hop bitterness and aroma are moderate, with malt being the primary flavor. "

Does that help?

I've got two cases of this stuff bottle conditioning right now and it should be ready to drink next week. I can't wait!

Old 08-09-2005, 04:29 AM   #4
Ed S.
Recipes 

Wow, thanks for the response! The description sounds like what I made. I also need another month or so in the bottle, but it tastes pretty good right now. Thanks

Ed S.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:00 AM   #5
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Howdy, Ed. Ya know, I've been a member of a Dodge Ram forum, and a tech-related forum, and both had a guy called Ed S. Odd coincedence, I guess.

Welcome to the forum!

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 08-10-2005, 03:40 AM   #6
Ed S.
Recipes 

[QUOTE=Sam75]Howdy, Ed. Ya know, I've been a member of a Dodge Ram forum, and a tech-related forum, and both had a guy called Ed S. Odd coincedence, I guess.

Yep! I drive a GMC Sierra, and I generally prowl around winepress.us with my wine making. Otherwise I'm low traffic in the "e" waves. I guess there is a few of us out there.

Ed S.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:56 AM   #7
Turricaine
Recipes 

If the kit instructs you to add 1kg of glucose I recommend you try and find a 1kg tin on malt extract (unhopped) in place of this. Im only telling you this because it happened to me a few times when I started brewing.

Quick Reply