Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first batch in 11 years

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
blackbear219
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default My first batch in 11 years

Hi all,

Just got back into brewing recently. Picked up a pretty basic starter kit (2 buckets, siphon, hydrometer, airlock, capper, etc) at my local shop and cooked up a batch a week and half ago.

I think my biggest problem with this batch is going to be temperature. In the reading I have done since, I have learned that you want to get your wort down to temp before adding the yeast. I added by 2 gallons of wort to 3 gallons of cold water in the bucket and then pitched the yeast right off, so I think my wort was hotter than it should have been when I pitched. Also, the guy at the shop told me to put it up on my 3rd floor which I did...but we had a heat wave and it got to be 80+ degrees up there. So we'll see.

After 7 days, I moved it to secondary. I did snatch a little taste test and it tasted pretty good to me, definitely has potential. I got distracted by my kid while siphoning and ended up sucking over some of the trub by accident, but not very much. I'm sure it will settle out fine.

I'm going to bottle on Sunday (7 days primary, 7 days secondary)...I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

I've been reading a lot since starting this batch, and see that a lot of people skip secondary fermentation and just go with a longer primary. I think on my next batch I am going to give that a try.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
PUD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ouch! 80+ degrees.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
bourgeoisbee
Recipes 

Yeah, 7 day primary and secondary was a process borrowed from commercial brewers and isn't necessary - they do it to free up fermentors. Most home brewers do a 3-4 week primary and that's it - cold crash it for a couple days if you can prior to bottling. 80+ is HOT for anything but saisons. It loves that temperature as far as repopulating, but hopefully you only get esters and not fusels. I can't believe someone suggested that. What style of beer was it? Welcome back!

Old 07-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1504

I always let it sit in primary at least 3-5 days after FG is reached to give the yeast time to clean up their by-products. Especially in this heat wave. Then 3-4 weeks in the bottles to let them age as much off flavors out as possible. If none were present,then the beer will just be that much better.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
blackbear219
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUD View Post
Ouch! 80+ degrees.
Yea, it was a bummer. The guy at the brew shop told me to put it upstairs so it would be in a "warm room". I called him a day or two later and told him it was 80+ up there and asked if I should move it, but he still didn't seem too concerned.

It is a "Belgian Golden" and he said the Belgian's like it a little bit hotter and that it would probably be fine. We'll see, I'm not quite as optimistic. It did bubble for a good 5 days or so, so it's not like the yeast got overactive and dropped off quickly, so maybe I got lucky.

Let's face it...first batch, I'll drink it no matter what

Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
nefarious_1_
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbear219 View Post
Yea, it was a bummer. The guy at the brew shop told me to put it upstairs so it would be in a "warm room". I called him a day or two later and told him it was 80+ up there and asked if I should move it, but he still didn't seem too concerned.

It is a "Belgian Golden" and he said the Belgian's like it a little bit hotter and that it would probably be fine. We'll see, I'm not quite as optimistic. It did bubble for a good 5 days or so, so it's not like the yeast got overactive and dropped off quickly, so maybe I got lucky.

What is with these LHBS guys? It seems none of them ever know what they're talking about...

I've heard the guy at the place I stop through on occassion give weird advice too, I think it goes with the territory!

Old 07-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
blackbear219
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefarious_1_ View Post
What is with these LHBS guys? It seems none of them ever know what they're talking about...

I've heard the guy at the place I stop through on occassion give weird advice too, I think it goes with the territory!
They're wicked nice and very helpful, but some of the things they have told me definitely fly in the face of what I've read EVERYWHERE else.

I was going to ask them what they thought about skipping secondary and doing a long primary, but I don't think I even want to go there now.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 285

Quote:

What yeast did you use?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
blackbear219
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aygov View Post
What yeast did you use?
You would ask that. I'm not sure.

I couldn't wait any longer and I popped a bottle into the fridge last night. I figured what the hell, I have 50 bottles of it...I'm not going to hurt anything if I drink one early! Plus it will be fun to taste it off and on as it conditions to see how much it improves.

It's only been in the bottle since Sunday but I got a nice hiss of gas release when I popped the cap. Obviously, it was mostly flat but damn, it was taaaaaasty. Can't wait until this batch conditions more!! I declare...success!!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 285

Quote:
You would ask that. I'm not sure.
I was just curious since different types of yeast have different happy temperature ranges. Whenever I'm planning a batch I like to look at that range so I can be sure I stay within it. Since it sounds like it turned out alright it looks like you did good! RDWHAHB!

Quick Reply