Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first attempt at kegging, comments?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
dmako
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 60
Default My first attempt at kegging, comments?

I just filled my first corny keg a few hours ago and plan on doing the following unless my plan is faulty.

I set the CO2 pressure at 10 psi since I have the corny in my hatch way which is around 35 - 45 degrees.

Now I did not leave the CO2 tank connected as I'm afraid of leaks, so my plan is to check the pressure several times a day and if need be add more.

I assume as the co2 gets absorbed I'll continue to add more daily.

Taste beer in 5 - 7 days.

Sound like a plan?

__________________
dmako is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,021
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Leave it connected and just take some soapy water and pour/spray it over anything that can leak and look for bubbles. Once finished grab a hose and rinse the heck out of it. If it is leaking, then it is leaking and you need to fix it. If it isn't leaking then you are gravy. This will keep the pressure constant and allow for the beer to absorb the CO2 and become constant rather than absorbing, balancing and then getting repressurized and having to rebalance.

The beer at about 12psi should taste good in a week, but much better in two to three.

__________________
New and improved signature.
Matt Up North is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
dmako
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
Leave it connected and just take some soapy water and pour/spray it over anything that can leak and look for bubbles. Once finished grab a hose and rinse the heck out of it. If it is leaking, then it is leaking and you need to fix it. If it isn't leaking then you are gravy. This will keep the pressure constant and allow for the beer to absorb the CO2 and become constant rather than absorbing, balancing and then getting repressurized and having to rebalance.

The beer at about 12psi should taste good in a week, but much better in two to three.
Done, CO2 attached, sprayed soapy water no bubbles so far.

What worried me was how sensitive the connectors are to leaking i.e. if you put pressure on the tubing and moved the connector say to one side a little I can hear gas leaking. The connectors have to be just so.

I have brand new connectors and the keg is the pin type.
__________________
dmako is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beerthirty's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,651
Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

Default

It could be the position of the connectors or it could be old orings not sealing well in the connectors. I would go with matt's post and make sure the connector is positioned right. Plan on replacing the oring seals to prevent this in the future.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
"I've got a fever... and the only prescription is, MORE CARBOYS!"
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.
beerthirty is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
dmako
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
It could be the position of the connectors or it could be old orings not sealing well in the connectors. I would go with matt's post and make sure the connector is positioned right. Plan on replacing the oring seals to prevent this in the future.
Will do PS new o rings all around plus food grade lube/sealer.
__________________
dmako is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
ChrisS68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 563
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmako View Post
What worried me was how sensitive the connectors are to leaking i.e. if you put pressure on the tubing and moved the connector say to one side a little I can hear gas leaking. The connectors have to be just so.
You should look into that. Connections should not be so susceptible to leaks. Where is it leaking? Quick-disconnects? Flare nuts? One common mistake people make is using teflon tape or such on flare connections - unnecessary and a possible detriment.

Another thing I did when I got my system: after doing the soap test, I pressurized the system dry. After shutting off the CO2 at the tank, I let it sit for a couple of days to make sure I didn't lose any pressure.
__________________
ChrisS68 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
dmako
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS68 View Post
You should look into that. Connections should not be so susceptible to leaks. Where is it leaking? Quick-disconnects? Flare nuts? One common mistake people make is using teflon tape or such on flare connections - unnecessary and a possible detriment.

Another thing I did when I got my system: after doing the soap test, I pressurized the system dry. After shutting off the CO2 at the tank, I let it sit for a couple of days to make sure I didn't lose any pressure.
The quick connects tend to leak. I have two that both exhibit the same leak.
One QC is setup to a gauge while the other goes to my CO2 tank. If attached and I were to say put some pressure on then to the side, I can hear hissing. It seems like the spring within them does not exert much pressure to form a tight seal.

Now I dry tested my system and after days the pressure remains constant it just when the QC are on I become concerned.

this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/defaul...4-mfl-gas.html

The white part in this pic is where it leaks.
__________________
dmako is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,021
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

When I originally started kegging I didn't have hose clamps and was using old kegs that hadn't traded out the gaskets. Get a gasket set and replace all of them including the bleed valve (unless it is in good shape). Then after you finish the beer inside, clean it really well and as mentioned above, be sure to pressurize it dry for a couple of day or a week. You will be able to really find the leaks if there are any.

Lastly, don't forget that there are two ends to a leak problem. The keg and the other end of the hose (regulator, tank connection, hose). Good luck and remember that there aren't always leaks, just often

__________________
New and improved signature.
Matt Up North is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
dmako
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 60
Default

Follow up

It seems that was the gas in pop-it gasket. I guess a true dry test should be done with the CO2 left attached as the leak only occurred when the quick connect was attached.

__________________
dmako is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carbonation - first attempt at kegging MSKBeerfan General Beer Discussion 5 11-26-2009 01:39 PM
My First Attempt at Kegging GAbrewer Bottling/Kegging 7 03-06-2009 07:30 PM
Comments please Gonefishing Recipes/Ingredients 3 11-26-2008 12:13 PM
Comments on Hoppy APA attempt? cpbergie Recipes/Ingredients 4 04-12-2007 08:45 PM
First attempt, Any Comments? Sir Humpsalot Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 11-27-2006 07:03 PM