Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first attempt at homebrew - Mr Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Richard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My first attempt at homebrew - Mr Beer

Ok, so a friend got me a Mr Beer kit for Christmas, so I have embarked on my first homebrew journey.

I followed all the directions except that I added a cup of light brown sugar to the boiling booster before adding the beer mix (West Coast Pale Ale). I've since heard that cane sugars are generally a no-no, and that I should have boiled it for at least 5 minutes if I was going to use it at all.

Anyway, I fermented it all for over 2 weeks, and then bottled it with about a half teaspoon of white sugar in each bottle. As I was bottling I tasted some, and it was a bit yeasty but ok.

What do you think? Is my beer going to taste like crap?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I think it will taste OK. Plain granulated sugar gives beer a cidery flavor that most of us want to avoid. Brown sugar is granulated sugar with molasses added back in. It might give your beer some interesting flavor. In the future, if you want to boost your beer, try getting some dried malt extract to add instead of the sugar. It will make much better beer for you. If you have a home brew store near you they will be able to help you out. While there, check out all the stuff for brewing. If you enjoy brewing with your Mr. Beer kit you may want to eventually upgrade to 5 gallon batches.
Let us know how your beer turns out.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 01-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Richard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to let the beer sit in the bottles for 2 weeks and then put the bottles in the fridge for a week before trying it. Is there any chance that the extra time will reduce the cidery taste?

I really need to find a homebrew store somewhere around here so I can use that malt extract you suggested. I'd also like to try some kind of liquid yeast instead of the yeast that comes with the Mr Beer mix.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

You're beer will be as good as a lot of the BMC stuff.

Use a full 3.3lbs of hopped malt per batch. leave the sugar and it'll be good.
The time thing will help make the beer better.

In my opinion I wouldn't waste the money on a liquid yeast. Put the money to a proper fermenter or a 3 gallon pail and air lock so you can do secondary.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Defiantly go to a homebrew store. They are to men (and some women) what a candy store is to a kid. Where do you live? We might be able to help you find one.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
Richard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, one other thing I wanted to ask about...when I bottled my beer I forgot to let the bottles completely dry after sanitizing them. Will this be a problem?

Old 01-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

I think onestep is no rinse anyway.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Richard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
You're beer will be as good as a lot of the BMC stuff.

Use a full 3.3lbs of hopped malt per batch. leave the sugar and it'll be good.
The time thing will help make the beer better.

In my opinion I wouldn't waste the money on a liquid yeast. Put the money to a proper fermenter or a 3 gallon pail and air lock so you can do secondary.
Are the Mr Beer fermenters problematic?

The only thing I worry about with secondary fermentation is how to get the beer into the second vessel without mixing oxygen in. The Mr Beer fermenter only has a tap, and it could take a while to pour the whole 2 gallons through the tap into a secondary fermenter - increasing chances of contamination.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
Richard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifelee
Defiantly go to a homebrew store. They are to men (and some women) what a candy store is to a kid. Where do you live? We might be able to help you find one.
I live in West Orange. I just found out that the Gaslight brewpub in South Orange has a supplies store, so I'll go there.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Are the Mr Beer fermenters problematic?

The only thing I worry about with secondary fermentation is how to get the beer into the second vessel without mixing oxygen in. The Mr Beer fermenter only has a tap, and it could take a while to pour the whole 2 gallons through the tap into a secondary fermenter - increasing chances of contamination.
Don't worry about exposing to oxygen. As long as you don't go splashing it about or whipping it up there'll be no problem.

In my opinion secondaries are one of the best ways to improve a beer, second to leaving out large amount of sugar and followed by bottle conditioning.

Mr beers are fine for primary. For secondary you want to be under an airlock due to there not being as muchC02 production.
The other thing with a Mr beer kit is you have to prime in the bottle which can be a little inconsistent due to the small amounts to measure.

To tell you the truth the best thing about MR Beer id the simplicity and the education value. It's an easy no committal way into brewing.

Quick Reply