Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first Acetaldehyde brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
TRainH2o
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default My first Acetaldehyde brew

I've been brewing for a while now but have just recently brewed with Kolsch yeast. It's BM's Helles Bells.

I pitched 1.5 liter starter and fermentation too right off. It was temp controlled from the start at 66˚F. Maybe I should have gone to 2 liters in hindsight. BM's recipe states 2 weeks primary fermentation but I went for nearly 5 weeks due to work and family responsibilities. It finished a bit high.

I cold crashed for a week and rechecked my gravity. My initial taste before kegging was OK. Now, after nearly 4 weeks in the keg it has a noticeable taste of Acetaldehyde.

What should I do? Right now, I am about 10 weeks from brew day. I saved the yeast. Should I let it go and see what happens? Add yeast to keg and warm back up to fermentation temp?

Normally I would RDWHAHB but the Acetaldehyde taste is pretty strong.

Arrogant Bastard Clone
Imperial Red Ale
Blonde Ale

Fermenting
Munich Helles
German Pilsner
Mango Wine
Peach Wine

Bottled
Mango Wine
Westy 12 Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 304 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Yeah, I just had the same thing that is either infection or more likely that the seal broke during fermentation and I didn't check for a few weeks and its from oxygen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply