Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My FG reads 1.020, I need 1.017. Worth Worrying About?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default My FG reads 1.020, I need 1.017. Worth Worrying About?

This weekend I went to bottle a lager that started fermentation on October 19th and after a week of strong fermentation I pulled the carboy from my temperature controlled freezer for a diacetyl rest at room temperature. The gravity reading was 1.020 and BeerSmith indicates that 1.017 is ideal.
Original gravity was around 1.055 and the yeast is a mix of Wyeast Bohemian Lager (2124) and Czech Pils (2278.)

I decided not to bottle at this point. I sloshed the beer around in the carboy to agitate the yeast and hope this gets me closer to my ideal FG. If the gravity doesn't drop any further in the next 5-6 days should I just go ahead and bottle?

Is there any problem with bottling when you haven't hit your intended FG?

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
ghank15
Recipes 

Was this an extract batch? If so, as I have just learned, it is not uncommon for extract batches to finish high.

I have had a few of my beers finish around 1.020. I would have done what you did(ie rousing the yeast) but If you don't have any more fermentation it's probably done

Old 11-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This was all grain mashed for 60 to 75 minutes at 158.

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd think if you're that close you'll be fine. But, I'd have done what you did - stir the yeast a bit then wait another week or two.

B

Old 11-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2270 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

From what I understand of AG thus far,mashing closer to 160F gets less fermentables. Closer to 150F gives more fermentables. The actual temp used to mash seems to dictate color to an extent,but moreso mouth feel & FG/ABV.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts

158 is on the very upper end. Your FG is about what you should expect. Most brewing software does not account for mash temperature when it spits out your expected FG. I honestly never even pay attention to what it says you should get for a FG. Knowing your yeast, usage of grains and a good understanding of mash temperature will allow you to predict your FG with better accuracy.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1, with that mash temp you're likely done.

why are you bottling a lager without lagering tho? that should be sitting in the 30s for a few more weeks before even considering bottling.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
Mpavlik22
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

+1 I also agree with that mash temp your more than likely at FG.

"If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail"

Old 11-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
+1, with that mash temp you're likely done.

why are you bottling a lager without lagering tho? that should be sitting in the 30s for a few more weeks before even considering bottling.
I was under the impression that I should be getting the beer off the cake and allow it to lager in the bottles for a couple months. Is that wrong?

Old 11-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoftheearth View Post
I was under the impression that I should be getting the beer off the cake and allow it to lager in the bottles for a couple months. Is that wrong?
well bottle lagering is one method of it. most just rack to another carboy to lager though. make sure to let it carbonate first before you start lagering all the bottles.

Quick Reply