The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My fermenter drank the bleach solution???!!!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
laz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Estonia, Tallinn
Posts: 13
Default My fermenter drank the bleach solution???!!!

So it's been almost 2 weeks since i put this brew to ferment and i had used a homemade airlock (A tube that goes into a cup of bleach solution).

Now, it was fine for 2 weeks, but now suddenly overnight the cup is empty!!!??

What should i do now? I mean, it's unlikely that it got spilled etc, as my brewing cupboard is dry.

__________________
laz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Trubadour
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 451
Default

I probably wouldn't use bleach for that prurpose. In fact, I don't use it for anything brew related - just don't want it around my beer. I use Starsan in my blowoff vessel and vodka in my airlocks.

However, back to your problem, I think it's unlikely that your fermenter drank the bleach. There should still be a level of co2 in there that keeps anything from entering the tube. I could be wrong. Do you have a dog who may have drank it?

__________________
...Cause it's the dank!

My Keezer
Trubadour is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
laz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Estonia, Tallinn
Posts: 13
Default

That's what i thought at first. I had a little sip of it just now to taste and i didn't note anything weird. I don't have pets either. I am scared however, as there could've been some sort of vaccuum left in the fermenter which chocked the water in? Dunno :s

Complete bummer, if this has to go down the john.

__________________
laz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,044
Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Default

That happens when the fermenter cools, if there is a temperature change, or when fermentation ends sometimes there is a drop in temperature inside the fermenter. Even a change in barometric pressure can do it. When it cools, it forms a vacuum and sucks back the airlock liquid and/or the blow off liquid. Most of us use vodka in our airlocks just for this reason. If a little vodka in the airlock gets sucked back in, it's no big deal.

If your beer tastes ok, then don't worry about it. That's not much bleach, and it won't hurt you.

Next time, after the main part of fermentation is over, switch from a blow off tube (what you had) to an airlock with a little vodka just in case.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
laz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Estonia, Tallinn
Posts: 13
Default

Thanks guys. I am feeling a bit dizzy from that sip though, who knows, placebo?

I figured what i would've been left with in the cup would be hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate (Probably 2-3 teaspoons of sodium percarbonate went in that cup).

Could this be bad?

__________________
laz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
camiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,882
Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laz View Post
...
I figured what i would've been left with in the cup would be hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate (Probably 2-3 teaspoons of sodium percarbonate went in that cup).

Could this be bad?
Which was it, bleach or oxiclean?

Last edited by camiller; 07-17-2009 at 12:57 PM.
camiller is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
laz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Estonia, Tallinn
Posts: 13
Default

Probably the latter. Didn't find bleach in the store here (I'm serious).
I got some bag of white granules and it says in the back that it's predominantly sodium percarbonate.

__________________
laz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
camiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,882
Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

According to the msds oxiclean is harmful if ingested however I suspect that is if you ingested the powder before it completely breaks down in water.

Just so you know, oxiclean is not a sanitizer, it is a cleanser. Using it in your airlock is not really any better than using plain water.

__________________
In Nebraska? Nebraska Brewers Group
My Club OmaHops Homebrew Club

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator
camiller is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Hang Glider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North Augusta, SC
Posts: 3,146
Liked 143 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default

Laz-

next time:
Keep bleach (liquid, sodium hypochlorite) away from brewing. Use OxyClean (sodium percarbonate) for cleaning, not for airlocks. Use StarSan, Iodophor or other no-rinse sanitizer after cleaning, and use water/vodka for airlocks.


Don't dump the beer - proceed normally, bottle/keg, carbonate, etc. then after 4 weeks in the bottle, make your determination. If it tastes bad, or makes you puke, dump it. If not, lesson learned, next batch!!!

__________________
Hang Glider is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GreenwoodRover's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,060
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Maybe it was so bored it was drinkin bleach?

I'm so bored I'm drinkin' bleach, I'm so bored I'm drinkin' bleach.
/Dead Milkmen

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
only the $500,000 strippers can handle the load.
<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>
GreenwoodRover is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Batch - Sanitizer Solution fell into fermenter cwlodyka Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 07-04-2009 04:12 PM
Rinsing bottles with a bleach solution. arover Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 03-20-2009 10:29 PM
Bleach Solution Slipped Into Wort!! Hucko Equipment/Sanitation 7 03-26-2008 04:40 AM
Sanitizer Solution In Fermenter Zul'jin Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 01-14-2008 10:15 PM
Sanitizing Solution in Wort/Fermenter borders Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 01-03-2008 01:49 AM