Originally Posted by boomtown25
I will see if I can get a pic. Also, I just tested the gravity and obviously my yeast never got started. OG was 1.052, gravity now after 5 days is 1.050 and no action. If I decide to go on, can I order a new yeast pack and still be able to salvage the wort? (It would take 3-5 days to get to me.
Was that liquid or dry yeast? if dry, did you rehydrate or pitch directly?
(doesn't matter, except for temps.) rehydrate temp - not to exceed 104.
Pitching temp - obviously not to exceed 104 either, but better at 65F
something was too hot and killed the yeast, perhaps? Watch your temps, they're important.
a spare packet or two of dry in the refrigerator for just such an occasion.
Oh, and if you have to wait 3 days for yeast, don't bother racking until the new yeast comes, or you may have more mold growing on the newly racked wort.