New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My brew stinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
Saprobic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My brew stinks

Well I am 2 weeks into fermentation with my hard lemonade and it really stinks. Smells like someone was baking bread but stopped halfway through and let it rot. Is this normal? Will it start to smell better as it gets closer to done? This is my first brew well second but both are still fermenting and neither smells like anything I want in my mouth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
Pappers_

Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1818

I've never brewed hard lemonade, so can't speak specifically to that, but yes, some people do not like the smell of fermenting beer. Different yeasts will produce different odors, too - some smell strongly of sulfur, for example.

What is your other brew - is it a beer? What kind and what kind of yeast did you use?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
whatisitgoodfor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like you're running short on nutrient.

Add a couple of tablespoons of nutrient and see if the smell disappears. (I had a batch of rhino fart cider bubbling away a few months ago, after adding 3 tablespoons of yeast nutrient I got the biggest foulest fart of them all, then nothing but pleasant applely wonderful aromas for the week that it took for fermentation to finish.)

Old 05-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

My first try at hard lemonade smells so bad I cant drink it... Second batch is great however.. The difference is I started the yeast for my second batch and had a nice big healthy starter. The first batch I pitched 3 times before it took off. I Think I am smelling dead yeast.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Saprobic
Recipes 

Ok great info all thanks. I will definitly add some more nutrients today. I did use a starter but no guarantee I did that right. My other brew is a dandelion "beer". I actually had to burp one as the bottle it was in was warping out visibly, the smell seems to have improved dramatically after sitting in the bottle for a few extra weeks.
Cheers

Old 05-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

all sorts of fermentations have different odors give it time sometimes it taskes time evEN after bottling to get rid of odd odors and tastes. the nutrient shouldnt hurt it now let it be to age out

makng a site about homebrewing for fun you can check it out a hbhda.weebly.com . im still working on it and any tips are appreciated

Old 05-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrichie View Post
all sorts of fermentations have different odors give it time sometimes it taskes time evEN after bottling to get rid of odd odors and tastes. the nutrient shouldnt hurt it now let it be to age out

Yeah, I've had lager fermentations smell so bad I thought someone had put spoiled meat in there.
It all mellows out in the end.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 05-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
Homercidal

Recipes 

Liked 1651 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 940

2 weeks is not enough time for the yeast to die and smell bed. You are probably just smelling the fermentation. Some yeasts and brews will give some nasty aromas, which are normal.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Quick Reply