Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My Brew Plan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Bacchus00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Pretty successful day so far!
Added 1/3 of LME and DME at beginning
Brought to boil and added hops, boiled for 45 and added the rest of the fermentables. Boiled for 5 added hops and boiled again for 5.
Appears that I had a pretty high boil off but won't know till I put it in fermenting bucket. It's in an ice bath right now, stirring every 5 min or so. It's down to 93 after 20 min according to the digital fish tank thermo I bought. But seems to be stalling. I see why IC's are so handy between all the water/ice mess. I went through 4 bags of ice and having 2 more picked up for me. Almost to transition stage. The hops smelled really good while boiling. Wort smells alright right now, but nothing I would want to drink out of the brew pot. Ha. Yeast is rehydrating right now. Hopefully it will cool down here to around 70 soon!

One difficulty was definitely seeing the wort boil with all the wind, so much steam to see through. Definitely had 2 times where foam got 2-3 inches from top of 15g kettle. Might have had the heat a little high. Hopefully it doesn't have too bad effects on the beer.

Over and out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
Channel66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1049 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 94

After it cools and you take your hydrometer reading taste the sample. It's good to learn how/what the flavors form through fermentation.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.— David Rains Wallace

Old 01-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
Bacchus00
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Took the hydrometer sample and letting it settle for a taste. Looks like I ended up with 6g instead of 5. Definitely miscalculated the boil off. But I guess I'll just do a blowoff tube on my bucket fermenter.

SG reading was 1.081 OG was suppose to be 1.083-1.086. So close enough

Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #14
Fireman-Mike
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are u sanitizing what your stirring with each time? I always leave the lid on during cooling to prevent contamination and to let the trub settle to the bottom.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #15
Bacchus00
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was leaving the stir utensil in the wort and covering with lid so that it was slightly open. At this point I am just hoping the blow off setup works with the extra .5 to 1g in the fermenter and it will turn out a good beer. Might be a little cold right now but we will see. At some point in the next few weeks i will heat it up closer to 70 which i think what the belgian tripel works.

Quick Reply