Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is my brew infected???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
fishka30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is my brew infected???

Hi, I'm using coopers new brewing kit, my first brew turned out great, lots of foam from fermenting, tasted great!! My new brew I did a wheat beer. Followed the. Steps 1 by 1, but it didn't foam up at all and there is know yeast extract around the side like the last batch after 5 days at the right temperature. The OG was 1045 and the hydrometer reading has gone down to 1020. Also when filling the tube to take the hydrometer reading the beer was really foamy! Can anyone plz give me some insight? Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

A lot of wheat beer yeasts stay suspended in the beer (poor flocculation) as they ferment. The difference in your OG and your FG is proof the yeast are doing their job, so don't panic. Let it continue to ferment even if it doesn't look like anything is happening to the naked eye. Just keep taking gravity readings and when the gravity is consistent (unchanging) for three days in a row, you'll know the primary fermentation is complete. Then, let it sit another week to take care of any fusel alcohols like diacetyl (called a diacetyl rest), and then you can rack it to your bottling bucket and bottle it up.

If the beer is still cloudy with yeast and you don't like that look/flavor, you can cold crash the beer 24 hours prior to bottling. Search the threads for tips on how to cold crash your beer.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
fishka30
Recipes 

Well that is great news, thank you very much for answering my question aiptasia. Muchly appreciated

Old 09-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
fishka30
Recipes 

Hi again, just another quick question about my brew. Just took another hydrometer reading and it has gone down to 1004 and it's quite gassy when I poured the beer into the hydrometer tube. Is this normal?? It taste fine!! Cheers Fishka

Quick Reply