New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My bottling experience and questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #21
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 563 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletapbrewing View Post
The reason I put it so high was because I was getting a lot of air in the line when trying to fill the bottle and it was not flowing out very good. I think it was just do to gravity and the way my tubing was positioned. Once I put it up, I had a nice consistent flow.
How long is your tube between the BB spigot and the wand?

You only want enough tubing there to firmly connect the two (about 3"). That way it won't flop around when you depress the button on the wand and you'll have no issues with positioning the tube.

Oh, I didn't see any mention in the OP of very gently stirring with a sanitized spoon to ensure even distribution of the priming sugar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 AM   #22
doubletapbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used the same tubing that I use for for my siphon. Guess I will go get a smaller piece. You do learn something new everyday on here. I did not stir I racked in top and then sort of had a small whirlpool going from the siphoned beer entering the bucket. I didn't want to oxygenate the beer. What does everyone else do?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #23
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I've been doing like you and just racking onto the priming sugar solution. However, on my last few batches, I have begun to worry about whether I'm getting even carbonation, so I think I may try gently stirring with a sanitized SS spoon next time. It's not a big difference, may simply depend on how I happen to pour a particular bottle, so I'm not sure it'll matter.

For sanitizing, I prefer to do a few bottles at a time to limit the amount of time a bottle sits around empty after sanitizing. I use a spray bottle filled with sanitizer (Saniclean or Star-San) and spritz inside a few times, then once over the top of the bottle to get the lip, and then pour out the excess. I usually do this in batches of 6. After sanitizing 6 bottles, I pull out 6 caps and spritz those with sanitizer. This keeps me from getting bored while giving the sanitizer enough contact time (not such a big deal with Star-San, but it's 2-3 minutes for Sani-Clean). Then I fill the bottles, and when all 6 are full, I cap them. (Actually, I may prep the next 6 bottles before capping, I don't recall offhand.)

Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #24
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 129

For carbing solution I put it in thirds. And I gently stir before I begin bottling. As long as you're not sloping it around, you should be fine.

One thing do check out the bottling sticky. You may find the advice there will give you a better process. the couple inches of tubing people were talking about is just the connection between the wand and the shut off valve. Then you bring the bottle up to the wand and fill vs. using a long tube and filling on the floor. I do this over the dishwasher door, where my sanitized bottles wait. I spill maybe a table spoon this way. More beer gets in the bottles less on the floor.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have found it helpful to gently...again, G-E-N-T-L-Y...stir the beer and the priming sugar solution to insure that all is mixed evenly. I had one batch quite a while ago in which I had several "gushers," probably caused by uneven mixing of the priming sugar. Since I've been gently...again G-E-N-T-L-Y...stirring the wort, I have not had another problem.

And the hose connecting my filler to the spigot on the bottling bucket is about ONE INCH long. That's really about all that's needed.

And definitely read, mark and learn Revvy's thread about bottling! There is soooo much great information in there!!!

glenn514

Old 01-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #26
zeg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgilmore View Post
Then you bring the bottle up to the wand and fill vs. using a long tube and filling on the floor. I do this over the dishwasher door, where my sanitized bottles wait.
I did this the first few times, using the rack as a bottle rack, but even with a short spigot-to-wand tube, there's not enough clearance to comfortably get the bottles into place. So now I just use the counter with a cookie sheet on the floor to catch drips.

I inevitably have to mop the floor after a bottling session, so minor spills aren't a big deal...

Old 01-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #27
GrogNerd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 723 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 94

also do the short tube. just enough to fit the spigot and bottling wand on tightly, like the wand is part of the spigot.

then bring the bottle to the wand and fill, instead of moving the wand from bottle to bottle

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine - primary: session IPA

Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #28
lgilmore
Recipes 

"I did this the first few times, using the rack as a bottle rack, but even with a short spigot-to-wand tube, there's not enough clearance to comfortably get the bottles into place. So now I just use the counter with a cookie sheet on the floor to catch drips."

I turn my stockpot upside down and place the bottling bucket on it, so the end of the bottline wand is about 3 inches below the counter top.

I adjusted things to make my bottling enjoyable, low strain and fast. If you find yourself bending over a lot or getting a sore back, elevate the bottling bucket. I use my dishwasher door for much more than a catch too. I put about a case and a half of clean bottles on it and work from that spot. I can fill 55 bottles in about 15 minutes through normal motion.

Also I use a small piece of plumbing attachments for the inside of the bucket that creates a suction so I don't have to tip the bucket. I just fill from it. I am left with an 8h to 16th inch of beer in the bottom.

The big thing is set up your bottling in the most comfortable way possible. For me, once I sit to bottle, I don't have to get up till I am ready to cap. I lay out my filled bottles by 12 and 22 case counts, so when I cap, I cap a case of 12s then a case of 22s. Then usually another 5 22s or 7 12s.

cheers.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #29
zeg
Recipes 

It actually works out better for me not to be at the dishwasher, due to the layout of my kitchen. I might try raising it up for its own sake, but I dont find myself leaning over too far.

In my case, I like to break it up. I sit to fill bottles, then stand to cap them, then walk across the kitchen to put them away, etc. (That's like 10 feet, so it's not a trek.) I find this helps keep me from getting stiff/sore, and keeps me more alert.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #30
lgilmore
Recipes 

It is whatever works best for you, not what works for me and you have to copy. What you want to do is look at different ideas and steal what you think will work for you and how you like to do it. As they say, "make it yours."

Cept for music.. must be Van Morrison when bottling Irish Red Ale. If you read your brew notes, you'll find it in the small print bottom right...

Quick Reply