New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My bottling experience and questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:03 AM   #11
Upthewazzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I strip labels with a star-san/oxi clean mixture in a 5 gallon bucket. The labels pretty much fall off after an hour of soaking. Like you, I sanitize the caps, seems like a no-brainer to me. Also, like you I mix 5 gallons of sanitizer in my bottling bucket and then drain into a separate bucket to sanitize everything that the beer will touch along it's merry little way into the bottles.

Fermenting: Biermunch Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Hard Cider
Bottled: Dead Ringer IPA
Bottled: Irish Red Ale
Bottled: Belgian Witbier

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #12
kjm13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use my automatic dishwasher to sanitize my bottles. Just put them through about 3 hours on the highest heat setting before I'm ready to bottle so they have time to cool. Then I take them straight out if the dishwasher as I bottle. Has worked great for me so far. Anyone else use this method?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
BridgeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have kjm13, worked fine for me. Both ways work, its personal preference.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
glenn514

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I, too, use my dishwasher to sanitize my bottles before bottling. I make absolutely certain, however, that there is NO CRUD in them before I put them in the dishwasher. The drying heat portion of the cycle does the sanitation. And I put my bottling bucket on the kitchen counter OVER the dishwasher, and use the dishwasher's door as a bottling "table." Cleanup is simple: close the dishwasher door when you are done! And I, too, have always sanitized the bottle caps...just throw them in a small container filled with Star San.

glenn514

Old 01-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Um, actually there's a lot written about bottling, carbonation, and conditioning, especially on here...Most of it by me.

Did you happen to notice the BOTTLING TIPS STICKY?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 01-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
MikeInMKE
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My bottle cleaning and bottling process:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottlers-i-commend-you-all-374744/index2.html#post4694953

Primary 1: Maibock
Primary 2: Marzen (Oktoberfest)
Primary 3: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Grateful Dead Guy, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Oktoberfest, Maibock, Barnyard Brown Ale, EdWort's Robust Porter, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Mosaic APA, Moose Drool clone plus, Raging Red Irish Ale, Galaxy APA, Dead Guy clone

Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
rdann87
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I typically clean the labels off with a soak, then clean with stars an the day of bottling. I use my dishwasher rack as a drying rack (after sanitizing), but only cause my dishwasher sucks big time

"Always Be Kind to a Creative Mind"

Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #18
kjm13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I also use the dishwasher to remove the labels. Again put on the hottest setting, I put the labeled bottles in the dishwasher, and then stop it just before the dry cycle so the bottles are still wet. The labels usually come right off, and I use a mr. Clean magic eraser to get off any residual glue. Works really well with most bottles. (Except Maine beer co and jacks Abby. They use a waterproof label and it must be crazy glue to put them on! Which is too bad because the use great 16.9oz bottles.)

Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 AM   #19
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeBrew View Post
histo320, he said that he added his priming sugar to 2 and a half cups of water then boiled it. Sanitizing cap is just as important as sanitizing all your other equipment.
This is why I love this site, you learn something new everyday. I never even thought about sanitizing caps. Looks like I will start.

Drinking - Craft Beer
Primary - Air
Secondary - Air
Up Next - The Plinian Legacy

Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 AM   #20
norsk

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Um, actually there's a lot written about bottling, carbonation, and conditioning, especially on here...Most of it by me.

Did you happen to notice the BOTTLING TIPS STICKY?
Read that years ago and saved me no end of needless aggravation. We bottle a lot of beer and your tutorial made it a breeze... Thanks

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Quick Reply