Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > are my bottles clean enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
biggerthanyou83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default are my bottles clean enough?

Ok after I finish a brew I usually rinse out the bottle till it looks visible clean then i store the bottles on my counter. When it comes time to bottle a batch I just rinse the bottles with sanatizer and fill and cap. Usually I use new store bought bottles this was the first time I reused my bottles. Does this sound good or should I rinse the bottle after the use and then soak in cleaner then sanatizer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2131 Times on 1862 Posts
Likes Given: 1573

Even though I put recycled bottles in a bucket of PBW to clean'em & slip off the labels,I still think the Vinitor is useful here. I like to thoroughly rinse the bottles under the kitchen faucet to get the trub cleaned out. Then place the vinitor on top of my bottle tree,fill it half way with PBW,& give each one 4 pumps. I store them in boxes till bottling day. Then I put star-san in the vinitor,same MO as before. Good to go all over again.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I use a cleaner then sanitizer.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
onipar
Recipes 

Likes Given: 19

I'm a little paranoid about little bits of things possibly sticking to the inside of bottles. This is what I do:

After I pour a beer, I give it a good two-three rinses, shaking it up, and checking that the yeast trub is gone. Then I soak the bottle in some Oxyclean. There's no timetable here, I usually wait till I have a bunch of bottles. Then I rinse with my garden hose. It shoots water into the bottle at great speed, knocking out whatever maybe left.

On bottling day I spray Star San.

Alternately, instead of the whole Oxyclean song and dance, sometimes I just squirt some dish soap in the bottle when I rinse it (after pouring a beer) and call it a day until bottling time comes around.

If you have a vinator or one of those sink "bottle cleaning" attachments, you wouldn't have to use a hose.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
SimonHucko
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
...sometimes I just squirt some dish soap in the bottle when I rinse it (after pouring a beer) and call it a day until bottling time comes around.
dish soap right in the bottle? wouldn't that mess with head retention?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Typically, the only thing I do differently from OP is to invert the bottle to drip dry and put a little bit of foil (or some sort of cover) over the bottle top once it is dry. I don't want any dust or creepy-crawlies to get into the bottle while I am not using it. You just have to make very sure that you do get all the crud out before you dry it (which always is a good practice, no matter what else you do).

If I am concerned about a bottle (e.g., there is some stubborn sediment), that bottle goes into the "wait until I have some PBW mixed up, so I can do a soak" box.

There is no need to sanitize until right before bottling.

Also, I never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, put dish soap into anything that will hold my finished beer.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonHucko View Post
dish soap right in the bottle? wouldn't that mess with head retention?
*Shrug* Not sure. I rinse it out really well; I figured it was the same as using any other type of soap. As long as it's rinsed out well it should be okay...I hope. I figured it isn't any different than washing the cups I drink beer out of with dishsoap.

If I'm making a big mistake here that I'm unaware of, please tell me.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
SimonHucko
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
If I'm making a big mistake here that I'm unaware of, please tell me.
well, you're the one drinking beer out of those bottles, so I assume you'd notice if none of them had any head. could be a bigger or smaller issue depending on what style you brew...

hey, if it works, it works. I'm just surprised.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonHucko View Post
well, you're the one drinking beer out of those bottles, so I assume you'd notice if none of them had any head. could be a bigger or smaller issue depending on what style you brew...

hey, if it works, it works. I'm just surprised.
Well, I'm new to this. Have only brewed a couple beers so far, so I'm sure there's stuff I still don't know.

I know people use special brewery cleaners for long soaking and equipment, but I guess I never really thought about it in terms of the bottles. You know, I wash all my dishes and cups with it. It rinses off without any smell or residual soap layer.

I guess I better search this.

EDIT: Well, I read a few threads about it. It looks like a lot of people say not to use it, and if you do to rinse really well. And some others say they use it with no problem. Then a few that say it's ruined their beer in the past. As best I can tell, the beer that was ruined probably had to do with the soap not being rinsed out well enough. I dunno, I haven't had any problems, but I'm not going to stand here and recommend it if it's controversial. Stick with Oxyclean.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I rinse my bottles out really well, put a cap full of bleach in each one, fill up with water, let it sit for 30 mins, then rinse each bottle at least 3 times.

Quick Reply