My Bost Ale Clone Cool Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
The recipe I have says nothing about keeping the secondary cool or for how long but the Sam Adams web site says their boston ale is fermented in cool "stock cellars" It doesn't say how cool. If I keep my secondary in my basement at around 55 degrees how will that effect my beer. Will it kill my ale yeast? I don't want a flat beer when bottling?

I'm deffinitely going to keep it in there for at least 4 weeks what's the max I should do for this type of ale though is 4 weeks to long?

Well I am going to only do the secodary at 55 and keep it in bottles at around 70 for carbonation is this a bad idea?

Not a bad idea, that's the right idea. Keep your secondary at 55F for a few weeks, then bottle and keep those around 70F for two or three weeks. After they carbonate you could optionally move them back to 55F for 'cellar storage' or refrigerate them.

After a beer has been in the secondary for 2 weeks to a month can there still be a problem with chill haze?

WhatsOnTap said:
After a beer has been in the secondary for 2 weeks to a month can there still be a problem with chill haze?
Oh, yeah. Depending on how much haze there is in the first place (and other factors, I imagine). Some seem to clear better than others. Also, unless your secondary storage is relatively cool (I don't know what the threshhold is, but 45-55 seems to work) the chill haze won't form in the first place to settle out. I'm about 50/50 getting mine really clear and it doesn't bother me too much anymore.

WhatsOnTap said:

There always could be, because chill haze is just coagulated protein. You can diminish this by using Irish moss, cold conditioning (a long cool secondary), and IMHO and more importantly a very fast chill process out of the boil pot. Since I've been using my CFC, my beers have been crystal clear. When I was using the ice method or the immersion chiller--chill haze.

However--I didn't switch to a CFC to prevent chill haze, cause personally I didn't give a rat's ass if my beer was hazy. I want it to taste great.

Now if you are entering them into competitions, start using Irish Moss or Whirlfloc, and chill the wort QUICK! :)

El Pistolero said:
55F in the secondary will be fine...in fact it will really help with the clarity.
Just to clarify what you're saying; I can control my primary fermentation at 70 degrees in a 55 degree basement. Can I then rack to my secondary and set it out in the basement at 55 and start another batch immediately for my controlled temp primary fermentation? My immediate batch will be a stout.

Back