Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My big ben pale ale tastes super sweet, apple cidery tasting...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
chungking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I brewed a Big Ben pale ale kit from Midwest about a month ago. I let it sit in primary for 3 weeks and then bottled. Og was about 1.050, final was about 1.017. I went by the recipe that came with the kit. Steeped grains for 30 minutes. Boiled 1oz bittering hops for 1 hour with 6lbs lme. Then added another 1 oz of hops for aroma.
I know it's still early, but they've been bottled for a week, and it tastes really sweet and cidery like apples, or maybe pears. I'm bad with describing tastes and smells, but definitely sweet. I was hoping for a more dry taste.

There is no hop aroma or flavor, which really disappoints me, and which I can usually perceive. I wanted a hoppy pale ale. I didn't strain the hops out either.

Fermented in swamp cooler that read low 60's the whole time.

It also has a reddish tint to it, like an Irish red. It actually tastes very similar to the Irish red i made over summer...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 84 Posts

Wait for it. Apple taste is probably just young, immature beer. It should improve with another 3-5 weeks in bottles.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It sounds a lot like acetaldehyde

Check out BJCP Beer Faults

It might be you did not use a large enough yeast pitch, give it enough O2 or let it ferment long enough.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
innocent75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocScott View Post
Wait for it. Apple taste is probably just young, immature beer. It should improve with another 3-5 weeks in bottles.
^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^
Just give it some time. It is amazing how much a beer can change with a few weeks of cellar time. I always put a few from batches in the way back of the closet. I often forget they are there. They improve with age to a point. I have had a real good homebrew that was coming up on a birthday.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
chungking
Recipes 

This was the first time I let it sit in primary for 3 weeks and used swamp cooler. I usually only let it sit in primary for 1-2 weeks. But it still tastes very similar to all my other batches at bottling time.

Will the hop flavors and aroma start to shine through as it ages? I've never made a brew that had prominent hop characteristics. Seems like all my beers you'd be lucky to get a hint of hoppiness.

I did everything right for this batch, and it came out like nothing like it was intended to be...

Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 542 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I never touch any beer for at least 2 months. A few weeks can make a huge difference.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
chungking
Recipes 

The color shouldn't be reddish, should it? I've haven't seen a pale ale that is red...

Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
chungking
Recipes 

By the way, after racking into bottling bucket, I only had about 4.5 gallons of beer, but still used the full amount of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch. Could this be contributing to the sweetness? It did seem really carbed for only being bottled 1week.

Should I have limited the priming sugar by a fraction to compensate for a 0.5 gallon difference?

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It will add to the carbonation but shouldn't contribute to sweetness unless it hasn't been fully consumed and converted by the yeast.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Quick Reply