Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My beer tastes like a light beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Yeah - if you're going to go with partial mash kits, definitely do some research on partial mash process. Steeping and mashing are two very different processes, with different intended outcomes, and your beers will definitely turn out a bit differently than intended if you simply steep grains that were intended to be mashed.

All that said, I'm definitely with the folks who say that carbonation will help. It does a lot for mouthfeel, and very often it's more a lack of mouthfeel that folks pick up in uncarbonated samples and interpret as weak flavor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
Yeah - if you're going to go with partial mash kits, definitely do some research on partial mash process. Steeping and mashing are two very different processes, with different intended outcomes, and your beers will definitely turn out a bit differently than intended if you simply steep grains that were intended to be mashed.

All that said, I'm definitely with the folks who say that carbonation will help. It does a lot for mouthfeel, and very often it's more a lack of mouthfeel that folks pick up in uncarbonated samples and interpret as weak flavor.
I think he has steeped and not mashed. And yes, co2 bubbles go a long way to changing the feel of the beer.

OP - what beers have you had and really enjoyed?

B

Old 12-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd wait until it's finished to say anything. Warm, flat beer can seem watery and dull.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
It seems to me that mashing takes longer than 30 minutes,but the temp was good. Typically,1 to 1.5 quarts of water to each pound of grain is used in mashing,even partial mash. Could be you didn't mash long enough.
He did extract with steeping grains, he didn't mash. There is no mashing without base malts for conversion.

Rev.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #15
mcarb
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I wouldn't worry. I had this same issue. I brewed up a ten gallon batch and attempted to batch sparge (all grain). Missed by OG by 10+ points. SO I boiled up some DME and added it to the fermenter. I have a conical so I can take samples. Every sample was like water. Bud light at best. I thought I had ten gallons of horrible beer.

When I kegged it, I threw a bag of hops in the keg because it still tasted like crap.

Two weeks later, it's one of my better beers. Crystal clear, not BudLight at all, more like an awesome EPA.

Don't worry.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #16
Jwood
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

if you are making this judgement early, i'd definitely wait until the beer is fully carbed before judging the body of it. Flat beer and carbed beer are two different worlds.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1925 Times on 1693 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
He did extract with steeping grains, he didn't mash. There is no mashing without base malts for conversion.

Rev.
The op said in post #7 that it was a partial mash. He also didn't say that it was caramunich or the like. he just said Munich,& I figured they have to have a base malt one too?

Old 12-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #18
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
The op said in post #7 that it was a partial mash. He also didn't say that it was caramunich or the like. he just said Munich,& I figured they have to have a base malt one too?
Hmm, didn't see that. Thought he'd said caramunich, guess the crystal threw me off, my bad.

Rev.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #19
plumbob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Which kind of crystal did you use (want lovibond?)? Also some dextrin type grains might give you some more body (cara-pils/carafoam). Flaked oats will also give body, along with some other characteristics that are often, but not always desirable. Dark and Amber extract will help a little, but there just isn't much there; extracts will give you color and even a respectable amount of maltyness but if you are looking for a rich silky mouthfeel you need to turn to some beefy specialty grains.

Also, that strikes me as a pretty light grain bill overall for what I'm guessing was around 9lbs of extract. Consider more next time; or it might be time to just go partial mash!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #20
weimerbp
Recipes 

I think I was just being a little premature in judging my beer. It has been in the keg and carbed for a couple days now with significant improvement in taste and mouth feel. Another week or two of aging and I think it should be ready for some serious consumption!

I used crystal 40L I believe. I also looked in to adding some cara-munich or cara-pils malt and that sounds like it might boost the body of the beer a little bit. This kind of stuff is exactly why I like homebrewing... I get to play around with the ingredients to make my perfect beer.

Also, I think I will be moving on to AG for my next batch.

Quick Reply