Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My beer tastes like a light beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
weimerbp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My beer tastes like a light beer

I consider myself fairly new to brewing. I just brewed my 10th and 11th batch and encountered a new problem I haven't had before. My previous batches were fine.

I just brewed a Pale Ale with. I used Northern Brewer Pale LME, 1lb of Crystal, 1lb of munich malt, and Wyeast American Ale II. OG was 1.061 and estimated IBU 34. It was in a primary fermenter for 7 days, transferred to secondary for clarification for a total of 7 days, then I racked it into a keg and will allow it to age for a couple weeks. When I tested the FG before racking it into the keg, it read 1.015 (at room temp).

The problem is that I tasted it when I measured the FG and it tasted very very light, almost like a bud light. It had a great hop taste and aroma to it, but I barely got any malt flavor and the body was lacking. I actually did the same thing again with a stout brewed in the same manner with OG 1.072 and FG 1.018 and it tastes very light too.

I was hoping that the beers just needed time to age and develop flavor. ANyone have any thoughts? Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
vahighlander
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimerbp View Post
I consider myself fairly new to brewing. I just brewed my 10th and 11th batch and encountered a new problem I haven't had before. My previous batches were fine.

I just brewed a Pale Ale with. I used Northern Brewer Pale LME, 1lb of Crystal, 1lb of munich malt, and Wyeast American Ale II. OG was 1.061 and estimated IBU 34. It was in a primary fermenter for 7 days, transferred to secondary for clarification for a total of 7 days, then I racked it into a keg and will allow it to age for a couple weeks. When I tested the FG before racking it into the keg, it read 1.015 (at room temp).

The problem is that I tasted it when I measured the FG and it tasted very very light, almost like a bud light. It had a great hop taste and aroma to it, but I barely got any malt flavor and the body was lacking. I actually did the same thing again with a stout brewed in the same manner with OG 1.072 and FG 1.018 and it tastes very light too.

I was hoping that the beers just needed time to age and develop flavor. ANyone have any thoughts? Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian
hey blacksburg ... i'm in roanoke go hokies... especially tonight we need the win. i'm new too i just went with a coopers real ale.. i hope it turns out ok.. just bottled last tues. good brewing i just thought i would drop u a line

Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2271 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1705

I'm thinking too many fermentables vs un-fermentables. Not enough left to give body & flavor desired. I'm not real hip on grains yet,but it seems like you need some more un-fermentables in there. Maybe also raise your mash temp a couple degrees to make a bit more long chain sugars.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Maybe just young. I have some that tasted strong and others that tasted sweet at bottling time. They were very different after bottle conditioning.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How much LME did you use and how big was the batch? Did you put the ingredients into any software to see what it showed?

B

Old 12-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Yea, some age will definitely help, but the biggest factor is carbonation. It'll feel a lot fuller carbed up and cold.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
weimerbp
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick feedback. I used around 8lbs LME in a 5 gallon batch. The boil size was about 4 gallons. Since it was only a partial mash, I just steeped the 2lbs of grain in a grain bag for about 30 min at aroun 155deg F. I did use software to calculate the OG and I think I attained something around a 70% efficiency.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
birvine
Recipes 

What about hop schedule? Which crystal?

B

Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2271 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1705

It seems to me that mashing takes longer than 30 minutes,but the temp was good. Typically,1 to 1.5 quarts of water to each pound of grain is used in mashing,even partial mash. Could be you didn't mash long enough.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
birvine
Recipes 

Brewtarget is showing OG 1063, FG 1016 so your numbers seem ok. Looks like your IBUs are in range.

Maybe you like more body in your beer. More crystal maybe?

B

Quick Reply