Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My beer tastes horrible!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #31
jollytim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
Did you read my post all the way ? Where did I argue that it wasn't a sanitizer ?
I did... and you did... or at least that's the way I took it. And I was clarifying that because I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
I have no experience with One-Step, but it's not a considered a sanitizer anymore by the FDA. Take that as you will..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #32
BreckBastion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntOrngeLonghorn84 View Post
What temperature did you ferment and bottle condition at?
My first thoughts as well. What yeast was this?

Nevermind: i see that you don't know what type of yeast. The website has a review of somebody fermenting at 72 so it's probably an ale yeast. Weird.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #33
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Okay, One-Step is not legally a sanitizer, but a lot of people have used it successfully as such. End of that discussion, hmm-kay? *Mr. Garrison Head Tilt*

(The South Park character of Mr. Garrison was based on a real guidance counselor that Trey Parker knew from Junior High... my older brothers knew him, too, and he really did talk that way.)

Let's Sherlock Holmes this dealie-o.

Prior to bottling: tasted fine
After bottle conditioning: tasted like a fungus' nether orifice
After cold conditioning: still slurping fungi

Unquestioned: pre-bottling steps
Questionable: bottle sanitization (due to dishwasher), possible oxidation, yeast strain, beer gremlin attack?
Fact of Note: *all* bottles have been bad

Since all bottles have been compromised, think of it this way: either the whole batch was contaminated, the yeast are not good brewing yeast, or all the bottles were tainted. If the yeast were not good brewing yeast, then time will fix it. If the beer is truly contaminated, the two things that could have done this are: your bottling bucket/equipment, or something that touched all of your bottles.

If you sanitized your bottling equipment properly, then it likely wasn't "batch contamination".

Since dishwashers use the same water for all the bottles, the same colony of bacteria could have been spread through all the bottles. The repeated use of the dishwasher may have provided a selection event (micro-evolution) for a bacteria either able to withstand the temperatures, or with spores capable of withstanding the temperatures to survive and infect all of your bottles. Although this is unlikely, it is very far from impossible.

Recommendations: don't use your dishwasher to sanitize. If you lack confidence in your liquid sanitizers, use the oven (carefully, now!).

Sadly, unless the yeast are not brewer's yeast, the batch is probably done for. Set it aside and see if it turns into a lambic or something magical -- beer-acles (beer miracles) happen! In six months, who knows? The first time you get a bottle that tastes oxidized (wet phone book, cardboard pacifier, etc) then give up on the whole batch.

That's advice from one noob to another. I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #34
BennyN
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
It seemed as if the one step was the most highly recommended. Well, I just bought a five pound bucket of it, so that's what I'm stuck with for the time being.

It's possible that a few bottles got by with specks of gunk in them. I do make an effort to keep them all very clean; I rinse them all right after drinking the beers and then rewash them all with a brush and spray. Also all the bottles of beer are uniformly disgusting to drink.

ETA: I hadn't noticed your last couple of sentences in your post. I dry everything as much as I can. Items such as the tubing and siphon that are not easily dried are laid out to dry in my basement office/fledgling brewery. It is also my gun/reloading room, so the humidity is kept very low in order to keep rust down - so they dry very quickly.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!
I wouldn't swear off the One Step just yet. Plenty still use, and love it.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #35
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Get star-san or other wet sanitizer, do not dry the bottles fill when wet.

BTW Your beer will also taste better if you do a longer primary than one week.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #36
BennyN
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
Okay, One-Step is not legally a sanitizer, but a lot of people have used it successfully as such. End of that discussion, hmm-kay? *Mr. Garrison Head Tilt*

(The South Park character of Mr. Garrison was based on a real guidance counselor that Trey Parker knew from Junior High... my older brothers knew him, too, and he really did talk that way.)

Let's Sherlock Holmes this dealie-o.

Prior to bottling: tasted fine
After bottle conditioning: tasted like a fungus' nether orifice
After cold conditioning: still slurping fungi

Unquestioned: pre-bottling steps
Questionable: bottle sanitization (due to dishwasher), possible oxidation, yeast strain, beer gremlin attack?
Fact of Note: *all* bottles have been bad

Since all bottles have been compromised, think of it this way: either the whole batch was contaminated, the yeast are not good brewing yeast, or all the bottles were tainted. If the yeast were not good brewing yeast, then time will fix it. If the beer is truly contaminated, the two things that could have done this are: your bottling bucket/equipment, or something that touched all of your bottles.

If you sanitized your bottling equipment properly, then it likely wasn't "batch contamination".

Since dishwashers use the same water for all the bottles, the same colony of bacteria could have been spread through all the bottles. The repeated use of the dishwasher may have provided a selection event (micro-evolution) for a bacteria either able to withstand the temperatures, or with spores capable of withstanding the temperatures to survive and infect all of your bottles. Although this is unlikely, it is very far from impossible.

Recommendations: don't use your dishwasher to sanitize. If you lack confidence in your liquid sanitizers, use the oven (carefully, now!).

Sadly, unless the yeast are not brewer's yeast, the batch is probably done for. Set it aside and see if it turns into a lambic or something magical -- beer-acles (beer miracles) happen! In six months, who knows? The first time you get a bottle that tastes oxidized (wet phone book, cardboard pacifier, etc) then give up on the whole batch.

That's advice from one noob to another. I'm sorry for your loss.
I think you cracked the case

Old 11-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #37
benharper13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

bottling is easy mmm-kay

Quick Reply