Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My beer tastes horrible!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
max384
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Default My beer tastes horrible!

My first batch of beer, an amber bock extract kit from Midwest, is absolutely terrible... Borderline undrinkable.

I left it in the primary fermenter for one week, then in the secondary fermenter for two weeks. It has been in bottles for 5 weeks now. I don't have an accurate original or final gravity because my hydrometer had a leak in it (couldn't figure out why my readings were so ****ty at first) that I had not noticed until after bottling.

I was very meticulous about my sanitizing procedure and did not see any signs of infection. I did put them in my dish washer on the rinse cycle with heat after sanitizing. I had a drying agent in the diswasher (the blue liquid kind that you add to to the washer once a month or so). I never thought about it until reading somewhere that bottles shouldn't be rinsed if a drying agent is used.

Besides being flat and warm, the beer tasted pretty good prior to bottling. I then tried one beer each Friday after bottling. Each subsequent week produces a worse tasting beer than the last. I can only describe it as yeasty (I think). It has a slight fungal smell (I think, I'm not so good at pointing out tastes and smells) over top of a good, normal beer smell. I've had a couple of friends try it also without mentioning how bad it tastes beforehand, and they all had the same opinion of it.

It is well carbonated and does not gush out when opened. It has a foamy head when poured and looks like a 'normal' beer.

I don't feel as though it is the drying agent because otherwise I would assume I would taste that in my drinks poured into glasses from the dishwasher... However, I know that is one part of my process that I made a mistake in.

Any ideas? Thanks.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” -Winston Churchill

IBA # 56,419

Last edited by max384; 11-23-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
benharper13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

how long to you cold condition the bottles before drinking

Old 11-23-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
Rowdy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

the thing that stands out to me is you put your bottles in the dishwasher to rinse them AFTER sanitizing? only thing to go in bottles after sanitizing is beer..

Cruiscín Lán Grúdlann
In wine there is wisdom, In beer there is freedom, In water there is bacteria.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:41 AM   #4
CBK
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

"I was very meticulous about my sanitizing procedure and did not see any signs of infection. I did put them in my dish washer on the rinse cycle with heat after sanitizing. I had a drying agent in the diswasher (the blue liquid kind that you add to to the washer once a month or so). I never thought about it until reading somewhere that bottles shouldn't be rinsed if a drying agent is used."

This might be your problem.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
benharper13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with these guys that could be the problem but if you haven't let them cold crash in your fridge for a week that could be the problem. My beer after a week in the fridge is very clear and the yeast have fallen to the bottom in a nice tight cake so I don't get them in the glass when I pour

Old 11-23-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
max384
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Thanks for the quick replies.

The first few beers I only left in the fridge for a couple of hours to get cold. They were still clear when poured into a glass. Others have been in the fridge for over a week with absolutely no improvement in taste... or clarity really.

I certainly won't be putting my bottles in the dishwasher anymore... However, do you guys really think that is the cause of the foul taste? If so, wouldn't my drinks poured into glasses cleaned in the dishwasher have a similar taste? Also, the drying agent does not smell at all like the off taste and smell of the beer smells.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” -Winston Churchill

IBA # 56,419

Old 11-23-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4364 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 848

If you washed off the sanitizer, and used Jet Dry besides, then I'd say that is probably the issue. It seems like the problems in the beer came after bottling. If you sanitized the bottling bucket, bottling wand, the tubing, etc, then the bottles could be the problem.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #8
Bluesssman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would take a bottle down to your local home brew supply place and let them taste it. They will probably be able to tell you what the problem is. Short of that, I would say it got some contamination when you rinsed them after sanitizing. When I was bottling I used iodophor to sanitize and then, drained them and let them dry up side down in six pack cartons. I put paper towels in the bottom of the cartons to absorb what little liquid would come out.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:26 AM   #9
BurntOrngeLonghorn84
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

What temperature did you ferment and bottle condition at?

Primary: ----Air----
Secondary: ----Air----
Bottled: AHS Anniversary Wit, AHS Irish Red Ale, Ed Wort Haus Pale Ale

Ferm Chamber

Old 11-23-2010, 02:31 AM   #10
benharper13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't think the problem isn't the smell from the glass you pour them in the issue is if they are washed after sanitized they aren't sanitized anymore so you may have gotten an infection in the so its not directly related to the taste of the jet dry

Quick Reply