Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My beer taste kinda like a cleansing solution?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
brewtx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default My beer taste kinda like a cleansing solution?

It's a Texas blonde from AHB. It tastes bitter a bit from the hops but then kinda chemically as well. What could be the problem here? My guesses are I didn't strain it before I put it in the primary (leaving the hops in the primary) or I left it in the primary too long? Experienced brewers I call upon you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Many brewers don't strain their wort and just dump everything in, hops and all and their beer doesn't taste like cleaning solution. Many brewers leave their beer a minimum of 1 month in primary, and have left their beers in even up to a year and their beers don't taste like that either. Those are pretty common things brewers do.

What do you mean by "cleaning solution?" Does it taste like you didn't rinse the soap out of the gear before using it?

Does it taste like acetone/nail polish? If that's the case it could be from two high a fermentation temp, or from an infection. What was your cleaning sanitation regimen like?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

brewtx Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
brewtx
Recipes 

Yeah that's what I was looking for. Like acetone. I had my fermentation temp locked down pretty well. This leads me to believe it was something to do with sanitation. I just usually make a couple of gallons of solution as suggested by my sanitizer (Austin homebrew brand) and soak everything and then rinse it down with hot water and use it. I cant think of a place where it could have gone horribly wrong.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

It went terribly wrong if you rinsed a NO RINSE sanitizer....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
brewtx
Recipes 

That does make a good amount of sense.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Is the water you used to brew city water with chlorine or chloramine in it to make it safe?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Do you keg or bottle? If you are kegging, it could be your beer line. I'm noticing I need to get some new beer line soon. The line that came with my new 3 faucet tower is leaving a plastic/chemical taste in the first couple of ounces of beer, if it sits in the line long enough. It's very strong if I only pour out two ounces. If I pull a full beer, it's kind of a "What's this off taste"

Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
brewtx
Recipes 

It could be a multitude of things. I have been reading lately and a lot of people who extract brew have described this same taste in all of their beers. I am going to try to perfect my extract process, and then see if I can still find that taste in my beer. If I can, I may try to move to all grain.

Quick Reply