Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is my Beer Ruined?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
Grantsmith13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Is my Beer Ruined?

This is my first time brewing, A Scotch Ale, and foolishly switched it to my secondary fermenter after just 5 days? Will my beer be ruined?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
msujack
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In short, no. It will turn out fine.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Did you take gravity reading when you racked?

Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 245 Posts

My first batch I was so excited I just wanted to do things. So I switched too early as well. In my primitive brewing thought process, I decided that it would be BETTER if I switched to secondary BEFORE it was at FG, thinking it would kick off a little more CO2 and fill the headspace to avoid oxidation. (In hindsight I think it is a sound idea, but the risk of a stuck fermentation or the yeast not fully cleaning up after themselves is worse than the somewhat unlikely event of oxidation in secondary if you are careful.)

My beer was not ruined. In fact, it was absolutely delicious and multiple people said they would mistake it for two hearted ale. Which is nice because that is what I was going for. The biggest issue is I think it has some significant fusel alcohol present. No taste, but it comes with a quick, BAD headache. It's like being hung over halfway through a beer. Hasn't stopped me from drinking the whole thing, though.

After all, I'm not even sure the fusels are a result of he early switch to secondary. I fermented a little warm at first before I had my swamp cooler.

So bottom line: continue as if nothing happened. Just make sure you are at FG before bottling. That would have more disastrous consequences.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Default Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

You'll be fine! There's probably still some yeast in the secondary anyway even if it was done.....which it probably was. Just take the gravity after secondary so you know.

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Old 12-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #6
codyjay12
Recipes 

Ok so i did something really stupid. After pouring everything into the fermenter, i placed the lid on and started to press the airlock into the hole in the top when the rubber washer pushed through into the wort. All i could think to do was use sanitizer all over my hand and arm and scrub it down as best as possible then reach in and get the washer. Did i ruin the brew by doing this?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Hypothetically speaking...if I were to have had this happen, I would have done what you did, and it probably wouldn't have ruined my beer.

This is all hypothetically speaking, of course.

(I think you'll be fine.)

Old 12-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #8
codyjay12
Recipes 

Haha ok well this is my first brew so i was pretty upset about it. I now know to set the airlock first and then secure the lid. Fingers crossed!

Old 12-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #9
Wirk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
My first batch I was so excited I just wanted to do things. So I switched too early as well. In my primitive brewing thought process, I decided that it would be BETTER if I switched to secondary BEFORE it was at FG, thinking it would kick off a little more CO2 and fill the headspace to avoid oxidation. (In hindsight I think it is a sound idea, but the risk of a stuck fermentation or the yeast not fully cleaning up after themselves is worse than the somewhat unlikely event of oxidation in secondary if you are careful.)
This is exactly what beer smith recommends, transfer to secondary when you still have some gravity points to go.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #10
whiskeyjack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Transferring to a secondary is optional and really only needs to be used as needed. It was originally done to prevent autolysis from yeast cells dying off in the primary. It has been proven that autolysis does not occur in a few weeks and some brews have sat on the trub for over a year. Look at some of the threads by Denny or Revvy and they both preach the "leave it in primary for four weeks" If you have a high gravity wort and you transfer it too early you can cause a stuck fermentation. Your beer will most likely be fine, just letting you know you don't have to secondary, the only time I can think to secondary is when adding misc items like fruit and hops

"Many mules have matched wits with me, yet almost all have failed!" Pust

Quick Reply