The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is my beer ready to drink?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
mrwentura
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Is my beer ready to drink?

I made my first beer.(3068 wyeast weinhanstephaner yeast, dry wheat malt, and halletrau hops) It fermented, and i bottled it in 16& 22 oz bottles and a PArty Pig mini keg. It has been a week since my babies started bottle conditioning.

This morning, something in my gut told me to try a 16 oz bottle. As i go to pop off the cap, I anticipate the fizzy sound of Co2 bursting under the cap. To my surprise, It fizzled like a beautiful beer opening orchestra. It is a great moment.

ANYWAYS... my question is: it tasty beer, it is carbonated, should i chill the 16 oz bottles? Should I take a gravity reading and wait? I figured the 22s might need more time and the party pig on tap seemed like it needs more time as well. the pig hold 2.5 gallons, so i figure it will take the longest to condition.

what are your thoughts fellow home brewers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

If the 16's taste good to you,then put'em in the fridge for a week. The others will need another week or so. Wheat beers are faster anuwaus.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Not ready, takes at least 2 weeks minimum.......Waiting 4 is best.

Primary: Centennial Blonde

Kegged: Stout

Upcoming: Porter

I love Yooper........

Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwentura View Post
I made my first beer.(3068 wyeast weinhanstephaner yeast, dry wheat malt, and halletrau hops) It fermented, and i bottled it in 16& 22 oz bottles and a PArty Pig mini keg. It has been a week since my babies started bottle conditioning.

This morning, something in my gut told me to try a 16 oz bottle. As i go to pop off the cap, I anticipate the fizzy sound of Co2 bursting under the cap. To my surprise, It fizzled like a beautiful beer opening orchestra. It is a great moment.

ANYWAYS... my question is: it tasty beer, it is carbonated, should i chill the 16 oz bottles? Should I take a gravity reading and wait? I figured the 22s might need more time and the party pig on tap seemed like it needs more time as well. the pig hold 2.5 gallons, so i figure it will take the longest to condition.

what are your thoughts fellow home brewers?
You don't take gravity readings of bottled beer.

3 weeks is the time you should wait till drinking. So I would would wait 2 more weeks, chill, then serve. Also, more volume means faster conditioning/priming apparently.

Either way you want to wait 2 more weeks, chill then serve. Goodluck and congrats!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Wheat beers are different. They carb & condition faster than regular pale ales. 2 weeks & they shoild be ready. But I've had some ready in 11 days.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
mrwentura
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

the 16oz bottles had quite a bit of carbonation to them, but didn't seem balanced carbed. What are the advantages of waiting in bottling longer if they are already carbed. Wont it get more carbonated with time? I know it will condition the flavor, aromas, and head on beer but what else should i know?

Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

You also have to realize that carbonation happens quicker than conditioning. Conditioning is basically aging to the point where the flavor/aroma is balanced by the carbonation. Conditioning takes at least one more week than carbonation in an average ale.

Quick Reply