Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > my beer never gets crystal clear

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
LSDracula
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default my beer never gets crystal clear

I have been brewing for almost a year now and I have noticed that the beer is free of sediment but not see through clear like commercial craft beer.
Even beers like rouge and sierra nevada that bottle condition.
Do these companies filter and then use a conditioning yeast or use a bright tank for an extended amount of time.
I'm wondering because I have an ancho chile pale ale I made awhile back that is really good and I may consider entering into the state fair next year and I know clarity is an issue with judges. If not that beer possibly one in the future.
I already primary everything for 4 weeks as a rule so I'm not sure secondary would make much of a difference.
On a side note I made a batch of mapfelwien months ago that I left in primary for 8 weeks and it was clear enough to read through. I just wasn't sure if 8 weeks was too long for beer.
You know that old autolysis paranoia.
Any info would be appreciated.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 AM   #2
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have been brewing for about a year also, I'm extract brewing at this time but will be moving to AG shortly. I also had cloudy or hazy finished product. I made a couple of changes, and now both my botteled and kegged beers clarity has improved quite dramatically.

1. Full boils
2. Filtered water
3. Immersion chiller
4. Irish Moss last 15 minutes of the boil

Cheer...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 02:33 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Try leaving one for a couple weeks in the fridge and see if that helps. Could just be chill haze.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-29-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
LSDracula
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To bad67z
I do use filtered drinking water from the grocery store since I live in Phoenix AZ and our water is so full of chlorine I rarely drink it myself.
Also the brew store I go to automatically gives you brew salt and irish moss if you buy grain.
Full boil is not an option because I use a gas stove that could not handle that.
Also I don't think an immersion chiller would help. I use a dual ice bath method for cooling and I always get a good cold break.
To ChshreCat
I should try leaving a bottle in the fridge for a awhile and see what happens but what do the judges do in a state fair competition? As far as prepping a beer for judging. Do they let it sit for 48 in a fridge like most homebrewers do?

Old 11-29-2009, 02:53 AM   #5
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

+1 to ChshreCat ,I forgot to add that I also "Cold Crash"

And I understand you water woes my father has lived in the valley for 25 years your water is pretty bad!

Old 11-29-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If it turns out to be chill haze, you can use a clearing agent like gelatin on the batches you want to use for comps. I haven't done it myself, but I see lots of posts recommending it to help with haze. Irish moss in the boil helps as well.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-29-2009, 03:11 AM   #7
LSDracula
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input.
I should use gelatin as an experiment on the next batch and see how is goes.
Maybe I'll try a blond and see just how clear it gets.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:23 AM   #8
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I have used gelatin in several batches, all of them have come out crystal clear, I have a batch of orange coriander pale that I did not use gelatin in, it is fairly clear, but a touch of haze, I also rushed this one to the keg to have it ready for some friends visiting, tastes great, just not uber-clear.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 11-29-2009, 04:41 AM   #9
ThinkinDavid
Recipes 

Dracula, try Wyeast London ESB Ale (1968) yeast. It’s just extremely clean yeast. Read the description on their website: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststr...tail.cfm?ID=22. I’ve just gotten to see the results of a batch I used with that yeast and I’m very impressed. It’s “crystal clear,” like you said. No finings.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
lady_brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am a kit brewer, but I do have a couple of opinions Feel free to ignore them or point out the error in my ways...

I think that a secondary might be a good idea. Even if you cut the time of the primary. I find that no matter how careful I am when racking there is always just a little bit of sediment that I end up with...

I also use isinglass in the secondary and I find that it clears my beer well. I am pretty sure that the Irish Moss serves the same purpose though... so really not an expert on that.

Out of curiosity, how long do you usually leave them in the fridge before drinking them? And are they on their sides? Are you just getting the normal sediment clouding them?

Quick Reply