Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My beer was a HUGE hit!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
motleybrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My beer was a HUGE hit!

Very year my parents have a big party at there house thanking both employees and our company's suppliers (we are a promotional products/logo merchandise distributor) for all the hard work. It was last night and I provide a case and 2 tap a drafts, and a couple bombers (had my Irish red, nut brown, and my cream ale). They provided a case each of corona, bud light, and Sam Adams Oktoberfest and also a bunch of wine.

ALL my homebrew is gone, there is 19 coronas left, 6 buds left, and all the Oktoberfest is gone. I got rave reviews all night. Only one person didn't like it (he had the Irish red), but he hardly ever drinks beer and when he does it's a bud product.

When I left the party, there was a good bit of my brew left. When I went before our show today (mainly to grab the empties), both "kegs" were floated, and all the bottles were gone.

At the show, all the suppliers have been raving about it. It really gives you a good feeling when people prefer your beer over commercial beers. And it's an awesome feeling knowing all your hard work, time, research, and dedication was appreciated by others (unrelated to you). Man, I'm on cloud 9, even though I'm moving a little slow today thanks to several homebrews and a few more drinks afterwards.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Congrats! Sounds like you made a staple

Question though, how do you like the tap-a-draft system? I've been thinking about buying one but reviews are up and down. Any recommendations or suggestions? Not trying to hijack your topic, if you want to PM me or whatever, just curious of your thoughts..

Old 09-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Very well done! It's quite a gratifying feeling isn't it? Congrats! I too am curious about the success of the "tap a draft." plastic equipment still scares me, but maybe these are worth it.

Lukehenslick@Facebook.com. on tap: homemade sarsaparilla and easy virtue blonde. primary: heffewitzen, blow your top steam. conditioning: fruity monk Belgian wit

Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
edie
Recipes 

congrats!! sounds like you enjoy what you brew but you can't beat having positive feedback.

PRIMARY
nada

SECONDARY
nada

ON TAP
#1 damn near dead guy
#2 lil pils
#3 daisy's dunkel
#4 cream of the crop

ON DECK
-still looking for a rye (an extract with a low hop profile)

Old 09-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
Cimerian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Congrats. I don't know if I will be so generous with my beer when it's done. If mine is that good I may have to keep it all for myself.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:54 AM   #7
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Congratulations! It's always gratifying to know that so many people really enjoyed the fruits of your labors.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #8
SouthernCross
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That's awesome! And tap-a-drafts? I have 2 and love em for what they're for!!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Primary 1 - Pale Ale - Hoggetown Ale Works recipe
Primary 2 -

Secondary -

Bottled - Pumpkin Ale bottled and in T-A-D
Kegged & Tapped - Over-hopped Honey Wheat, Christmas Wit
Kegged & Carbing - Steam Clone

Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 AM   #9
motleybrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Re: tap a drafts. This was my first time using them, and have mixed reviews. Great concept. Needs a little better execution.

Before I invested in the tapadraft, I bought a coors light version, took it apart and dumped the beer. Then got a TAD. I like them, but the true tap a draft systems come with 3 bottles and 1 tap, and uses 2 8 gram co2 cartridges and is $60. If I were you, I would go to your supermarket, and get 3 miller or coors lite home drafts. Here in Memphis they are 17.99 each plus tax so with that same $60, you get 3 bottles and 3 taps. They use one 16gram cartridge and most HBS are stocking them (at least here). You can bottle condition with the taps on instead of the caps that come with the TAD. That way if you have 3 beers ready, you don't have to wait to float it before tapping the other.

I went that route instead of kegs because I don't have a kegerator or a fridge I can dedicate to kegs yet. It's a nice "almost there" stop on the way to kegging.

The bad: can't force carb, only 1 tap.
The good: draft beer, easier to take to parties, fairly inexpensive (especially if you get the miller/coors setup, less bottles to fill

If you just want to try the system, get one miller for 20 and drink/dump and you've got one! There are several threads on it, but I just unscrewed the co2 without puncturing, and dumped it. Prime just like you do for bottles, sit a couple weeks, and reinsert the co2 and put in fridge for a day or 2. First pint will be foam/yeast. All the rest was delicious draft beer. Worth it if you do the miller route. Not so much for the actual TAD system

Old 09-14-2011, 04:22 AM   #10
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimerian View Post
Congrats. I don't know if I will be so generous with my beer when it's done. If mine is that good I may have to keep it all for myself.
we all say that at the start, but later on, many of us start sharing with others. it'll make you feel good to give others your beer, and have their eyes open wide and say "did you make this?!?!?"

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Hefeweizen
4: Hoegarden Saison
5: English Mild

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS