Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My beer is dying! Oh, the horror!.... The agonizing horror!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Chocolatey_Stoutz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 12

Default My beer is dying! Oh, the horror!.... The agonizing horror!

I bottled my first batch (a stout with added cocoa powder and bakers chocolate) about four days ago. At that time, my beer tasted fairly decent. Nothing special, but some interesting flavor profiles brought about by the vanilla powder, and spice potion (cinnamon, ginger and clove disolved in vodka) added to the bottling bucket.

Now, four days later, I just opened my first bottle because I couldn't wait to see how things are developing. I was disconcerted to find the following:

1.) beer has no head
2.) beer now tastes like an unblended, unbalanced mess of different variants of harsh chemicals that leave a cloying aftertaste.

My hope is that these taste will mellow and blend into a more balanced brew as carbing finishes and the beer ages and matures. I'm also hoping the lack of head is because carbing has only been underway for four days.

Thanks my brothers of brew.
Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
Chocolatey_Stoutz
Recipes 

Default Beer smells good, but taste baaaad!

I bottled my first batch (a stout with added cocoa powder and bakers chocolate) about four days ago. At that time, my beer tasted fairly decent. Nothing special, but some interesting flavor profiles brought about by the vanilla powder, and spice potion (cinnamon, ginger and clove disolved in vodka) added to the bottling bucket.

Now, four days later, I just opened my first bottle because I couldn't wait to see how things are developing. I was disconcerted to find the following:

1.) beer has no head
2.) beer now tastes like an unblended, unbalanced mess of different variants of harsh chemicals that leave a cloying aftertaste.

My hope is that these taste will mellow and blend into a more balanced brew as carbing finishes and the beer ages and matures. I'm also hoping the lack of head is because carbing has only been underway for four days.

Thanks my brothers of brew.
Cheers.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
AztecMatt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

4 days is relatively short.
Same thing happened with my last brew, an Irish Red. I popped one open after 2 weeks and it tasted like chemicals, maybe Star San?, so I let it sit for 2 more weeks. Gotta try one again tonight.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Let your stout sit for two more months and then judge the flavor.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

4 days is not nearly enough time. Tell us more about this beer. OG/FG, yeast, water, temps, process?

Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Jwood
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Its your first batch. I had to navigate through a minefield of exploding bottles with my first batch. Funny enough it was a stout with cocoa powder, bakers chocolate and coffee!

Anyways, you bottled 4 days ago. It isn't carbonated yet and wont be for at least another 2 weeks. It doesn't have head because there is no carbonation at this point.

Hopefully some of the flavors will mellow out, but harsh chemical flavors don't tend to mellow very well. What was your recipe, process, etc? Did you make sure you used a source of water that had no chlorine/chloramines in it? Chlorinated water = instant chemical beer. What temperature did you pitch the yeast at? How much yeast? How about fermentation temperatures? Were they low 60's or mid 70's? higher temperatures will lead to hot alcohol flavors, and not treating the yeast right can lead to a whole bunch of off flavors.

Don't be discouraged though, ask questions, read up on how to have a healthy fermentation, and start planning that next batch. Brewing isn't a tough thing, but it would be a lie if somebody told you there wasn't a steep learning curve to brewing great beer. This site will help you a lot and a year or two from now you'll look back on this batch and smile.

I recommend tried and true, simpler recipes to start learning with, just to save a bit of money and headaches wondering if flavors that aren't quite right are recipe related. Most of your success in brewing will come from your process and until you get that down perfectly, your beers won't come out tasting like they could fly off store shelves. Check out the recipe section here (if you haven't already). There are a ton of great ones in there!

And try another bottle in 2-3 weeks. It will taste a lot different from the one you just tried and could be pretty good.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
Chocolatey_Stoutz
Recipes 

Default Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trout View Post
4 days is not nearly enough time. Tell us more about this beer. OG/FG, yeast, water, temps, process?
Extract kit that arrived with the LME leaking. Compensated by upping molasses from 1/4 to 3/4 cup. Added unsweetened cocoa powder to the boil, along with semi-sweet bakers chocolate. Used Crystal Springs water bottled by the gallon. I used dry yeast which I did mistakenly pitch at far too high of a temp. Fermented heavily for one day and then stopped. sat in primary for just under two weeks and secondary for an additional two. I didn't check OG but FG read at 1.022 approximately. I do not know what that translates into in terms of ABV. I disolved vanilla powder with priming sugar and then added to bottling bucket with spice potion.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
Chocolatey_Stoutz
Recipes 

Default Thanks for the support bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood View Post
Its your first batch. I had to navigate through a minefield of exploding bottles with my first batch. Funny enough it was a stout with cocoa powder, bakers chocolate and coffee!

Anyways, you bottled 4 days ago. It isn't carbonated yet and wont be for at least another 2 weeks. It doesn't have head because there is no carbonation at this point.

Hopefully some of the flavors will mellow out, but harsh chemical flavors don't tend to mellow very well. What was your recipe, process, etc? Did you make sure you used a source of water that had no chlorine/chloramines in it? Chlorinated water = instant chemical beer. What temperature did you pitch the yeast at? How much yeast? How about fermentation temperatures? Were they low 60's or mid 70's? higher temperatures will lead to hot alcohol flavors, and not treating the yeast right can lead to a whole bunch of off flavors.

Don't be discouraged though, ask questions, read up on how to have a healthy fermentation, and start planning that next batch. Brewing isn't a tough thing, but it would be a lie if somebody told you there wasn't a steep learning curve to brewing great beer. This site will help you a lot and a year or two from now you'll look back on this batch and smile.

I recommend tried and true, simpler recipes to start learning with, just to save a bit of money and headaches wondering if flavors that aren't quite right are recipe related. Most of your success in brewing will come from your process and until you get that down perfectly, your beers won't come out tasting like they could fly off store shelves. Check out the recipe section here (if you haven't already). There are a ton of great ones in there!

And try another bottle in 2-3 weeks. It will taste a lot different from the one you just tried and could be pretty good.
Extract kit that arrived with the LME leaking. Compensated by upping molasses from 1/4 to 3/4 cup. Added unsweetened cocoa powder to the boil, along with semi-sweet bakers chocolate. Used Crystal Springs water bottled by the gallon. I used dry yeast which I did mistakenly pitch at far too high of a temp. Fermented heavily for one day and then stopped. sat in primary for just under two weeks and secondary for an additional two. I didn't check OG but FG read at 1.022 approximately. I do not know what that translates into in terms of ABV. I disolved vanilla powder with priming sugar and then added to bottling bucket with spice potion. Fermented at about 70 - 72 F

I have 10 more gallons waiting to be bottled. I jumped in with two feet, so I have learned a good bit.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Only thing I can say man, and I know you know what brewing is about even know it's your first batch, but never add additional spices and such things to a kit. Adding more hops is one thing, but adding additional crazy sht on your first brew is asking for trouble. I bet it's all that crapola you added that makes it taste like dump. Brew another trying not to be creative and see what happens. Good luck broham.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
revco
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Stop. Go do something else. For at least 3 more weeks and preferably longer. Don't look at your beer, don't wonder about it, don't touch it, don't google over it and imagine what it tastes like. Just leave it alone in a nice, room temperature location...for at LEAST three weeks.

If it doesn't develop over three weeks, repeat the process above.

Quick Reply