Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is My Beer Done Fermenting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
rjdunlap2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is My Beer Done Fermenting

I Brewed 7 Days Ago Today Tuesday And In The Start My Airlock Was Bubbling Like Crazy And Now It Is Only Bubbling Once Every 2 Min Or So Is It Close And How Do I Know For Sure

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Eskimo Spy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think the answer would be using a hydrometer to take readings over three days or so, and if the readings remain constant, then it's done fermenting.

I'll let more knowledgeable minds tell us more...

Old 07-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The only way to know for sure is to take hydrometer readings on consecutive days; if the reading stays the same then you are done.

Since it has been 7 days I bet you are getting close but the little bit of airlock activity tells me the yeast might still be doing their thing. Like I said, take the hydro readings and see where you are at.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 07-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

First off, I'd give it another week before you worry about it. In answer to your question the only way you can know for sure is to take a hydrometer reading, then another 2 days later to see if it's changed. Airlock bubbling is a very poor gauge of fermentation as a lot of factors affect the rate.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 07-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Heck - why bother worrying - just leave it in the primary for 3 weeks - should be done by then!

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a beer that's been fermenting for two weeks. I brewed a week before you, and just yesterday the krausen started falling, but I still have some airlock activity. In my experience, the beers that I forget about or get to busy to mess with turn out the best. I'd let it sit for at least a few more days (and certainly until the krausen's fallen) before taking any hydro readings.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Ben25
Recipes 

I had one beer that fermented for almost a month!!

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 10-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
sabanknight
Recipes 

well, mind you from my knowledge correct me if I am wrong, but leaving it in for more than 4+ weeks can have negative effects as the yeast will begin to cannibalize its self.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabanknight View Post
well, mind you from my knowledge correct me if I am wrong, but leaving it in for more than 4+ weeks can have negative effects as the yeast will begin to cannibalize its self.
No they won't...people have long since disproved it, and even left their beers in primary for 6 months. The myth of autolysis for homebrewers not brewing LAGERS has been long busted.

If you learned about it from How to Brew, you like many new brewer's were left so scared by his discussion that you missed the MOST IMPORTANT paragraph on it...the LAST ONE.

Quote:
As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.
Not to mention this as well....
Quote:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.
And not to mention that when Palmer goes into his long discourse about it, it is in the section on Lagers.

A lot of folks fail to notice these key details and perpetuate this fear about long primary and ales.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
waldzorn
Recipes 

I believe in the september 2009 issue of Brew Your Own they presented some "research" where people racked half of their beer and left the other half in the primary. After so many weeks they sampled the beer and almost everyone decided that there was no difference (or the beer left longer in the primary tasted better!).

Quick Reply