Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My Advice For Those New To Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 04:49 AM   #1
xinunix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My Advice For Those New To Brewing

So I am far from being an expert, been doing this for just over 1 year, have about 11 batches under my belt, all extract partial boils. Over the course of my first year I have learned a tremendous amount from the people on this forum so the best piece of advice I can give you if you are new to homebrewing is to read and consume all of the knowledge you can from these boards.

Aside from that I have one other piece of wisdom to share...

Take a 6 pack of every brew you make, set it aside, and leave it alone for at least 8-12 months.

The hardest lesson to learn (though it is by far the most frequently given piece of advice from the gurus on this board) is patience. I can't fault any new brewer for ignoring this advice b/c I know first hand just how hard it is to resist the temptation to taste your latest creation. We seek all kinds of creative ways and reasons to avoid exercising the self control required to let your beer properly age and condition. And to be honest, I am not convinced that abstinence is the best policy. Tasting your beer early can be a very valuable learning experience, especially if you give yourself an opportunity to taste your beer after it has been properly aged and conditioned as a basis for comparison.

Two weeks ago I started chilling a few 6 packs from the first beers I made last year around this time (all of which were good then) and all I can say is WOW, it is absolutely amazing what time does for a homebrew, they are GREAT now! Had I known what I know now after tasting a few of these a year later, I would have set aside at least 12 or 24 from every batch and just brewed more often to make up for the difference.

Do yourself a favor, go ahead and dig into that 4-6 week old beer now but set aside a 6 pack and forget about it. You will thank me for it next year!

So I am raising this glass of my inaugural homebrew one year later to Revvy, Yooper, BierMuncher, Bobby_M, EdWort, yuri_rage, olllllo, and the many others on this forum that taught me the most valuable lesson in homebrewing...Patience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #2
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I can definitely jump on the age-your-brew bandwagon. My worst brew (a heavily-hopped IIPA) came through fermentation way too quick (ran about 80F most of the time), and had massive diacetyl problems. Just finishing one out of the last sixers right now and it's literally a whole different beer.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 02-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Ziggybrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sometimes I break-down and buy commercial beers to drink so I am not tempted to raid the coffers prematurely. I envy those guys who "stumble across" a forgotten case or carboy because they have so many brews in the works. I guess if you are impatient like me; brew more and brew often.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if its good in 4 months, it's usually gone by 5. this saving and savoring stuff is well and good, but label well!

Old 02-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

One caveat to the ageing beer, is well if it's a session beer and you pitched a correct amount of yeast and controlled the fermentation temperature properly, it will be better far sooner... but beginners... scratch that. Home-brewers rarely do.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
JimE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
One caveat to the ageing beer, is well if it's a session beer and you pitched a correct amount of yeast and controlled the fermentation temperature properly, it will be better far sooner... but beginners... scratch that. Home-brewers rarely do.
Home-brewers rarely do? Really? We're smarter than that.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Home-brewers rarely do? Really? We're smarter than that.
I can't tell you how many people I've watched just pitch a single vial of white labs into a 1.090 wort. And then they wonder why all the esters or stuck and slow ferments.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
JimE
Recipes 

Quote:
I can't tell you how many people I've watched just pitch a single vial of white labs into a 1.090 wort. And then they wonder why all the esters or stuck and slow ferments.
Hopefully, each person only does that once! There is so much info on this forum. I sure am glad to be able to research stuff and ask questions. I hope everyone does that...

Old 02-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I had to take some time off from brewing. So everything I've got bottled is between 1 and 3 years old. The only thing I had go stale on me was a hefeweizen.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
Ziggybrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
????!!!!! what? Foriegn concept to some home brewers

Quick Reply