My 1st batch: OG and Candi Sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamison

Reaction score
I just did my first batch on the 22nd. I am attempting a Strong Dark Belgian (Rochefort 8 clone). Full boil with extracts and grains. WLP530 2000ml starter. I used a turkey fryer outside. I have two questions.

1.) My recipe called for 2 lbs. of Belgian Dark Candi Sugar and 1 lb. of corn sugar at the end of the boil. The recipe was designed for granulated type candi sugar, but my brew shop only carried the rock style.The owner of my brew shop suggested I add the candi sugar earlier in the boil, but I was afraid that it might affect the flavor if I did that. I was doubtful that the rocks would dissolve at the end of the boil, so I pre-boiled 2 qts. of water on the stove, then killed the heat and dissolved all my sugars in that, then added it at the end of the boil. This also helped me get back up to the 5 gallon mark after the loss during the boil. Do you see any problems with the way I did it, or would adding the sugar early have any affect on the flavor?

2.) My recipes target OG was 1.084. I came in at 1.090. Is this going to make a noticeable difference, or is it as close as I could hope to get? I may need to invest in a scale as I had to estimate on my LME(6 lbs. from two 3.3 lb.containers) and DME (2 lbs from a 3 lb. bag). Maybe that is where I was off?

hydrometer dwsz.jpg

It sounds like it will turn out just fine. more OG just means more alcohol at the end. You did just fine.. As they day, relax and have a home brew. I have found it hard to mess up a brew... You should be happy with the outcome

For a first brew, you did just fine.

You can dissolve the candisugar anytime, really; when I used it, I added it with 15 minutes left to boil and stirred the dogsh!t out of it to get it to dissolve. If you boil it the whole darn time it won't really harm anything; you might get some caramelization flavors, but that's about it.

1.090 vs 1.084 isn't that big a difference. I'd not worry about it.

Cheers! :mug:

Bob

Thanks guys. I am at about 80 hours in and the fermentation is slowing down a bit. Still getting a good burp every 15 seconds. Lots of activity going on in there still.

Back